Clone smoking/ burning oil after rebuild

CDM

Hello all, I recently rebuilt my 196cc honda clone with a billet rod, new crank, new piston and rings due to the stock crank bearings going out. I did hone the cylinder before rebuilding. It ran great during break in, now it has been smoking/ burning oil progressively worse each time it runs. I did read some threads online that stated it is due to the synthetic oil, and break in should be done with regular sae oil? It runs better than ever, but it constantly puffs smoke each time I give it any throttle. Any ideas?

I think what Dave was alluding to was the 2nd ring being possibly installed upside down or something wrong with the oil ring. Was it a 3 piece ring or one solid oil ring? How much oil are you running? Were the valve guides in the head OK? And finally how are you venting the crankcase pressure thru the standard valve cover reed valve?

CDM

The 2nd ring was the correct way, I believe the stamping #'s facing up, per directions. The oil ring can only go one way, so that had to be good. Yes, I am using the stock valve cover vent, I never had an issue with that before the rebuild?