Close enough parts for the frugal

red baron

I cringe at the reception a thread like this might get, I hope I don't get run off. How about common parts that can substitute rare, expensive or hard to find items even if they're not exact. For example not every mini is worthy of that ultra rare expensive disc caliper. I don't have very good luck searching the forum so apologies in advance if this has been done already. Another idea is how about parts to stay away from for whatever reason? I had a couple of kill switches that should be banned for their poor quality being dangerous.

mustangfrank

I cringe at the reception a thread like this might get, I hope I don't get run off. How about common parts that can substitute rare, expensive or hard to find items even if they're not exact. For example not every mini is worthy of that ultra rare expensive disc caliper. I don't have very good luck searching the forum so apologies in advance if this has been done already. Another idea is how about parts to stay away from for whatever reason? I had a couple of kill switches that should be banned for their poor quality being dangerous.
F%@k 'em...I'm of the opinion that as long as you don't cut, permanently modify, hack up old or rare frames and forks, no one should get mad at getting minibikes back on the road with whatever budget allows.

Then again, I try to stick to quality over quantity and keep as much of China off my vintage vehicles as possible.

nightgrider

Everyone is going to be of their own opinion on this topic. I do whatever fits my budget. I'm not a collector and never intend to be. I plan use what I have. Though I wouldn't purposefully hack up a valuable frame. But some parts just are non existent. My fox campus is a good example. Pretty much no one makes repo parts and NOS are very very difficult to come by or beyond my budget. And so much of my original parts were missing from my bike it would never really be worth the price of a proper restoration, at least to me. I'm of the opinion it's only original once, once those parts are gone the value goes with them. But again that's because my view isn't of a collector. Though that doesn't mean I don't enjoy seeing a well done restoration. I can definitely appreciate the effort put into a proper restoration. I've recently been looking more into making my own frame. So then I wouldn't feel so bad about thrashing it in the woods. If it gets destroyed, I'll just weld up a new one.

Last edited:

red baron

I don't skimp unless i absolutely have to.
I get it if your doing a restoration and you have a good starting point. I usually end up with bikes missing pieces more than they have and 1 step from the junk heap. I would like to do a restoration on a bike and have it look close to original but It will cost too much and I figured there might be some others that cheated up a restoration and would share what worked for them

I build mini bikes like I used to build motorcycles….like I’m going to ride each one daily…..try to buy original parts then put my own interpretation in them….but as long as you get one on the road who gives a rats ass how?

Triley41395

I really like the looks of the old bikes that are fully restored correctly but for me I think just getting them rideable is where I'm at. If you have to use different brakes or wheels or whatever to ride them go for it. I don't think I would make changes that couldn't be undone that way you could always put on correct parts if you run across them. Just sitting in a garage waiting for the correct clutch cover or chain guard for ever just doesn't seem right when you could be enjoying it while you search. I'm still new to minibikes but I'm not getting any younger, I want to enjoy them.

toomanytoys

I will say I DO NOT like clones on vintage bikes. It just does not look right.

I am however a huge fan of the predator/ducar/tillotson engines. The odd balls are good for an equipment repower. Pit a powerfister in a tractor. Works and runs better than the original H70 that was in it.

But at the end of the day....id rather see an old bike with a smiling person on it rather than in a junk pile....

Bearings, chains, sprockets, ect I will buy better quality. I will say these tav 30 China clones are tough as nails. I have beat the snot out of the one on my ct200u and it never has given me a moments problem. Clean, lube, and make sure the belt alignment is spot on. It'll love you forever

old shed finds

I will say I DO NOT like clones on vintage bikes. It just does not look right.

I am however a huge fan of the predator/ducar/tillotson engines. The odd balls are good for an equipment repower. Pit a powerfister in a tractor. Works and runs better than the original H70 that was in it.

But at the end of the day....id rather see an old bike with a smiling person on it rather than in a junk pile....

Bearings, chains, sprockets, ect I will buy better quality. I will say these tav 30 China clones are tough as nails. I have beat the snot out of the one on my ct200u and it never has given me a moments problem. Clean, lube, and make sure the belt alignment is spot on. It'll love you forever
Totally agree

old shed finds

F%@k 'em...I'm of the opinion that as long as you don't cut, permanently modify, hack up old or rare frames and forks, no one should get mad at getting minibikes back on the road with whatever budget allows.

Then again, I try to stick to quality over quantity and keep as much of China off my vintage vehicles as possible.
Cutting frames and fabrication is what most these chunky predator needs to fit most frames..