Closeup Mounting pics

IJG

can anyone (Please) show me how their mounting these new aluminum spun fuel tanks to their minibike frames or upgraded motor with a Arc top plate????

Have them install aluminum bungs in the tank to accept 1/4-28, then install bungs in your frame. No more ugly clamps on the rail. "IMO" I don't think the round, aluminum tanks look good on those after market plates over the engine. From an asthetics view, they'd look better square or rectangular.

Anyway, with a single frame top bar and limited space, this is what I did.

Mock_Up111.JPG

IJG

Dave Here' has shown what i am seeking in a reply, Dave shown us his mounting application for the fuel tank.
Thanks Dave!!!
As you can see Dave's tank is not clamped , and had custom work done to utilize this application.
Now' Wheres them Clamp on Tanks with a double wishbone minibike frame?

Last edited:
When side mounting a round tank like that it is a better idea to tilt the tank a bit forward so the outlet is more rearward. On a hard launch and a partially full tank, the fuel is pushed back and up in the tank. With the tank outlet pointed forward or down, the fuel pump could be sucking air. Easy to loose a race that way unless you Always make sure the tank if full before you race. Just my opinion, others will vary.

Side story. I drag race cars now and then and have seen guys chase out of the hole bog or stumble problems. They would only keep a couple gallons of gas in their tanks to "save weight". Well when they launch, there wasn't any fuel for the fuel pick up to suck. You can only help smart people, stupid people stay stupid... Telling them they are running out of gas doesn't seem to click. No problem for me :) I'll just make a clean run with sufficient fuel and win the race. Also they needed jet extension tubes on their secondary carb jets to keep the jets in the fuel but like I said, you can't tell stupid people anything as they know better...

Last edited:

IJG

And here's one I made from scratch for a buddy, to mount the tank over the front, sideways...
Nice Work Daniel Coop. I like the custom Bracket you created to fit in place Nicely, I care to do the same.
What will I need Mr? Keep in mind. I have Arc top plates on all of these builds and I will have to place the bracket and bolt holes Underneath it, I may need a longer set of bolt's. and raise the other side to accommodate levels,as it will annoy the freak in me.

Last edited:

IJG

reckon a friend and I are gonna match what you got there to the best of our abilities. thank you Daniel Coop.
Choosing..... Horizontal feed, Length,Diameter, End Fill. No Brackets. Any Suggestions?

Last edited:

Daniel Coop

Nice Work Daniel Coop. I like the custom Bracket you created to fit in place Nicely, I care to do the same.
What will I need Mr? Keep in mind. I have Arc top plates on all of these builds and I will have to place the bracket and bolt holes Underneath it, I may need a longer set of bolt's. and raise the other side to accommodate levels,as it will annoy the freak in me.

Thanks man, I am not a very good fabricator but I am a perfectionist. I can make stuff, but it usually takes a few tries and always way too much time. I made that bracket from some 1/8 plate steel and a couple of 4" hose clamps and a whole lot of expletives. It works to sandwich the bracket between the top plate and the motor. I did it on my white DB with a plastic Tecumseh tank and the original Tecumseh tank bracket cut, bent and drilled to fit

Last edited:

Daniel Coop

are those 3'' or 4'' diameter round spun tanks?
Yes, the pink one is 3", the other is a 4" cylinder style tank with domed ends. They are not spun however. I ordered them in smooth finish for paint and powder coating and both come from BAM Manufacturing.