Clutch band brake idea for JBRocks

CarPlayLB

So ol' JBRocks attached his clutch brake to a 1/4" bolt which would have led to a failure one sort or another. I suggested he make a bracket to attach to the four holes that surround the PTO...BUT! JB had the side cover without those four holes. That got me to thinking! I sat down first and devised a plan. Grab a beer and fix it for him! JB! Where are you? Most blocks have the large 1/2" hole at the 2 o'clock position as looking at the PTO end. I used some 1/4" stock and made a bracket that goes from that hole to the bottom left side cover bolt. I made a spacer that that will lift that bar above the side cover so the cover will still seal. I put a 3/8" stud in the proper position and torqued a nut to 600 foot lbs (maybe less) and loctited it for giggles. I purposely ran the stud all the way through, but my awesome grinder fixed it flat!
I need to know what people smarter than me think about this! (sorry Owen, maybe next time!) I am a genius fabricator, or a low IQ hack? Please be candid

CarPlayLB

George, I know the clutch band is too big...only one I had!

JBRocks...if you read this, please send me a PM and I will ship this to you, free of charge...on the house...put it on yer tab!

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Nope, not gonna work ! Sheered the key stock already ! You can see they are not lined up :laugh:

Just messin :laugh: You have a great idea here. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I dub thee a "Mini Bike Wizard" :sorcerer: Do you accept any and all challenges associated with your new rank?
Wecome to the dark side!! :evil_laughter:
Nice job Eric!! And an awesome and selfless gesture!! :thumbsup:

CarPlayLB

I dub thee a "Mini Bike Wizard" :sorcerer: Do you accept any and all challenges associated with your new rank?
Wecome to the dark side!! :evil_laughter:
Nice job Eric!! And an awesome and selfless gesture!! :thumbsup:
What do you want JDogg?:lol: I still have yet to find those fancy gold rocks in my backyard. Is that next? All jokin aside, whaddya think?

What do you want JDogg?:lol: I still have yet to find those fancy gold rocks in my backyard. Is that next? All jokin aside, whaddya think?
I see two anchor points instead of one!! :thumbsup: But the bottom forward bolt may still be a weak point.......that side cover bolt was never designed for a load?? Dont really know how much rotational force is applied as I'm sure its all mathmatical to that bolt when the brake is pulled......as I have heard that clutch band brakes work better than rear wheel brakes as the gearing at the clutch makes a difference in the stopping power applied as opposed to just a band at the rear wheel so I really dont know if the force is too much........Might last forever!! Hope I thoroughly confussed you....I know I am!! :blink:

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
The mounting bracket is bolted to the engine, yes.

However, it will also bottom out to the engine mounting plate, taking most of any stress to the lighter bolt.

I like it:thumbsup: I have that problem with 3 of my engines. I think if the band brake bolt was up top, (if possible) that would be better. :eek:ut: Your going to make me think about this now.:laugh: Where the big bolt is in that large hole, can't you make that bolt longer so the band brake can attach at that point. I think that may make the pressure better. I'm going to have to look at that tomorrow on my engine. Great work Eric.:thumbsup:

CarPlayLB

The mounting bracket is bolted to the engine, yes.

However, it will also bottom out to the engine mounting plate, taking most of any stress to the lighter bolt.
Nope...the allen head bolt has a smaller diameter head. I can still grind it down a bit too

CarPlayLB

I am a hack! I don't weld, but I am a good looking guy!

I designed this to be replicated by anyone. The flat stock that I used is available at any hardware store. All that is needed is a saw, drill and bits, 3/8" tap, beer, and time. Of all Budy's designs, the top is the most feasible. The middle one would not work because the chain guard on JB's engine is mounted there. The bottom one would require a larger piece of material with a lot more cutting to be done!

CarPlayLB

I like it:thumbsup: I have that problem with 3 of my engines. I think if the band brake bolt was up top, (if possible) that would be better. :eek:ut: Your going to make me think about this now.:laugh: Where the big bolt is in that large hole, can't you make that bolt longer so the band brake can attach at that point. I think that may make the pressure better. I'm going to have to look at that tomorrow on my engine. Great work Eric.:thumbsup:
Thanks for the input Karen. The big bolt is too far away from the fixed mounting point for the band and it may interfere with chains, clutches and guards. That is why I mounted it low

CarPlayLB

Neat idea Eric. As long as the brake cable exits on the bottom, one could have several clutch guard options. That was also a consideration.
The cable can be routed either way by using the other part of the band. I prefer it this way to keep the rotation of the clutch and the band the same.

1/4" stock is very rigid. The big bolt will prevent any twisting of the piece and making the bottom bolt just keeping it in place. No rotational forces being levied and it supports no weight.

If JB does not chime in, I will put this to test on my own very top secret build

Last edited: