Clutch issue on my kids old Murray Track 2 minibikes

New to this site/forum. I have two (2) Murray Track 2 minibikes that I bought for my sons in 2001 or 2002 from Walmart. They have been through hell and back and are sitting in my garage. Both run, but not well. Probably should replace the 13 or 14 year old plugs, plug wires, and clean the carbs...for sure. Both need a little TLC in the clutch department and a major clean-up.

Before I tear into these bikes and redo them to "re-gift" them to my now-grown sons for Christmas...I have a couple of questions.

==These minibikes never went up hill very well. Seemed like the clutch was always weak. Any recommended upgrades? I would love to put both of these in my barn on my hilly farm to give us other options rather than 4-wheeler or Ranger. My kids may have over-greased them...cleaning only?

==I know these minibikes were only made for a couple of years - any place to get Murray Track 2 specific parts, decals, etc?

Any help is appreciated.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Hello & Welcome, Do you have photos you could post of your bikes.

Photo of the drive system & Of decals your looking for ?

I hope I did this right...pictures are both minibikes, Tecumseh engine, Murray Track 2 drive line, and decals needed (not too bad of shape though)

Last edited:

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Decals, I don't think you will find unless you have them re-produced.

Bike is very much under powered for an adult to ride. A Tor-A-Veter would help a great deal with hill and trail riding.

Sorry about the Apple-upside down pics. I posted them both ways after editing. I hate apple!

Here is the drive line pic that I missed.

Cool beans about underpowered. We will keep to the hilltops.

Last edited:

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Re-mounting your engine all the way forward. Allowing room for a TAV drive system to be installed would help you a great deal.

What are the measurements of the decals? Fork or fork & frame ?

Cool. Thanks.

I will work on them some more tonight. Probably won't tear into the clutch assembly until later this week tho. Still doing general clean-up/tune up.

CarPlayLB

not much you can do in regards to gearing. The Murray's use a #40/41 chain and the standard MaxTorque clutch is already low on the tooth count at 10 teeth. They come stock with a comically large rear sprocket. Get a new clutch and a tune-up and these will be good bikes to have! The stock clutches on mine were the MaxLube type clutches with the zerk fitting on the end of the crank. I don't know if the zerk will work with a standard clutch.

Once I took off the flat front wheel and I realized it was a standard wheel-barrow wheel.

Had to bring the wheel/tire into a tire shop because I couldn't get the bead to grab again when airing it up...and I did not want to try aqua net and a lighter :)

The shop told me to pull the valve stem core, air it to set the bead, then replace the core and air as normal. With the core out - a bunch more air flowed and it sealed right up.