Clutch Longevity

I understand that a minibike clutch works best and lasts the longest when the clutch is fully engaged (basically full throttle) because that is when it produces the least heat.

Being that mine will probably be used mainly to putt around the pits at a track and not see much "full" engagement....how long can I expect it to last?

Now I know there are probably a ton of variables, just wondering how long these type clutches "typically" last?

I plan on buying a spare to have on hand, just wondering if I can expect 10 five minute rides or a 100 five minute rides? (just an example) :shrug:

buckeye

I would think as long as you keep it maintained, you should get many enjoyable rides out of it. Like hundreds.:thumbsup:

Ive had my first new clutch for 30 years..and it still hauls me around. One drop of oil on the bushing and its good to go. On top of all my bikes with their 40+ year old clutches. Take care of them..and they will take care of you.

Oh, so they really last a long time?

I was thinking by all the clutch threads around here that they didn't last very long.

So maybe I don't need a spare one laying around...

Pit Bug, If you're only going to use your mini to putt around in the pits then you won't have a need for speed or to go much over 15-18 mph. You might want to consider putting a larger sprocket on the rear wheel. That will give you more power on takeoff, a lower top speed, and the clutch will fully engage without having to do a lot of slipping to get you up to speed. Thus saving tons of wear and tear on the clutch. Sprockets generally, are cheaper than clutches. Ogy

Are you saying more teeth or physically larger?

Physically larger sounds like re setting up things?

I do like the idea though.

Not looking for top speed.

W/ a quick search I see that my mini comes w/ a 70 tooth sprocket, I see OldMiniBikes carries a 72 steel, or a slew of split ring sprockets.

Is 2 more teeth significant? Any suggestions? :)

Hey Pit, Going from 70t to 72t won't make an appreciable difference and would not be worth the time and effort. I suggested increasing the number of teeth because a lot of bikes run 60t on the rear sprocket and in that case going to a 72 would be worthwhile. Ogy

possibly you could go with less teeth on your driver sprocket. it would slow you down while maintaining rpm also it would be a good bit cheaper. (the sprocket on the motor or jackshaft)

My drive sprocket is a 12T.

My rear sprocket is a 70T.

What would make a nice difference.

Ease is not an issue, a few dollars is not an issue.

I just don't want to re configure the tensioner much?

rmm727

Yes. Plus allows you to run shorter chains. Lets you dial in your gearing a little easier than picking from only a few rear sprockets and changing clutch sprockets.

To answer your initial question. If you properly oil your clutch and keep the chain oiled and adjusted and aligned correctly...then it will last a long time. No matter what gear you are using. It is basic and simple.