clutches...

can anyone recommend a clutch with a 1" bore that can be mounted with the sprocket inside and handle up to 8hp or so. my budget doesnt have room for a torq converter unfortunately :|

Whoops...you're right...the $60 model isn't 1" all the way through the bore, so it couldn't be mounted inboard.

The $110 models are bored-through, and could be mounted either way, but that's right up there in price with the torque converters...

Does max-torque make a 1" clutch?

I use Hilliards, but they don't, at least not that I have seen...

Can you use the $60 clutch mounted outboard and still get your drivetrain aligned?

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
There are a few race clutches that mount inboard. But they are very expensive. The cheapest one maybe the Noram 1" clutch. But it still cost about $140.

This is why I like jackshafts so much...I don't have to worry about keeping the engine in line with the rear wheel...they can both be centered, and the jackshaft sprockets moved around to line everything up.

Plus, I can change the gear ratio easier, which gets pretty high with 1" clutches...there are more teeth on the sprockets of the 1" models that are bored-through because they have to wrap all the way around such a big bore...the $60 model isn't bored-through so they could run fewer teeth on the sprocket, since the end-bore is much smaller.

maybe i'll just make it a true direct drive... pull the cord and hang on!! haha. ok not really. but my frame should arrive today or tomorrow, when i get it, i will mock up the engine (which SHOULD fit according to the guys measurements.. cross fingers!) i might end up going the jackshaft route for the reasons mentioned above for ease of changing sprockets etc.

well. got my frame today, the motor fits in it, but... the shaft is definately not going to put the clutch on the inside of the frame, so.. my guess is that i will have to use a jackshaft and make a metal cover to cover the clutch/chain going to the jackshaft and the jackshaft sprocket so i dont get my pants caught... because that would suck! :) i will try to snap a pic tomorrow.

can anyone recommend a clutch with a 1" bore that can be mounted with the sprocket inside and handle up to 8hp or so. my budget doesnt have room for a torq converter unfortunately :|

Do you have a buddy who is a machinist? Turn crank down to 3/4 and broach a new keyway.....expensive if you have to pay for the job, but if you know someone in the trade, they should be able to help you...it is a NO brainer for a machinst to rework the crank, an easy job for them

It would be outrageously expensive if he needed that keyway cut with a broach, which is a long drawbar with about three dozen cutting teeth, used for cutting keyways on the ID of bores.

Most machine shops don't spend the money to stock all the different sizes of drawbars or buy the machine, because it isn't multi-purpose.

Fortunately, he could have the keyway cut by a shop that has a horizontal milling machine fitted with a standard mill vise...the cost should be about $75 if he can find a shop nearby willing to do it.

I just wanted to clarify the difference between the two procedures because if he calls around to several machine shops asking if they can 'broach' a keyway, he'll get a much higher quote, if they have the machine to do it at all.

Yellow, that is why I asked if he had a buddy. As many of us know machine tools are MAJOR bucks and machinists/shops have to include the cost of the machinery into the pricing. That is why your doing the board users a great service with your making of parts for them that require such tools and precision

Minixbeerd do you have any pics of this mini your building?? And what size engine are you running??
im working on getting some pics... but to answer/comment on some of your responses....

i have a friend whos family lives about an hour north of me, 2 or 3 of his family members worked at a machine shop, so i will see if they still do or still have the hook up. not sure if they have a broach or not but i know they have all the tools that would do the job. (and probably for free)

im not sure of the make of the frame, its this

i am going to have to elongate the frame to make it work, maybe 6-8" or so. should be fun :) i found some pipe that has the same ID as the frames OD, so i will probably make some sleeves and weld them in place... or find someone to weld them as i havent welded in about 5 yrs and have no welder other than a small oxy/acetylene welder in the garage.

ok, finally got some pics....
as you can see why i wanted a inside sprocket on the clutch. its alot to fit in there, but with the frame elongated i can add a jackshaft and put a little bigger rear wheel on it. im gonna go with it, who knows what it'll look like when its done, but it will get done! :rockon:

here is a link to the photo section. hopefully it works.
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/photopost/showgallery.php?ppuser=372&cat=500