Coffin Racers

I think that we have to go to the Tombstone Derby on October 28th in Elmore, Ohio. We checked out a couple of the cars and they look pretty cool. I have no other info on the cars but I am sure curious. This could be another great project. :thumbsup:

a freind of mine wants to build one hes loves the dead :)those are sweet! the problem of building one is the price of a coffin. Its illegal to buy a used one and the price of new ones are rediculous heres the classic dragula

Last edited:
I like the Coffin Racers...here's a T-Bucket conversion of a Cushman Truckster...the same chassis and drivetrain used for those CasketCars.

You can see the valve cover of the opposed-twin 18hp Cushman engine sticking out on all three of these conversions...a 3-speed manual w/ reverse was standard...not fast at all, but kinda fun to build and drive around.

Im trying to make an airplane out of a gravestone but Im having trouble on takeoff...

Sorry those things are ugly/dumb looking.

I picked up an old Cushman that runs a couple weeks ago, but man, those old OMC engines are getting tired by now...usually thousands of hours on them when they can be found.

There was a Truckster for sale locally that had the Mitsubishi engine/automatic transmission package, but I never buy those...the lay-offs started when Cushman decided to outsource for an automatic tranny, so Mitsubishi can kiss my ass...I'm not buying an engine that put some of my friends and family out of work.

The CasketCars may not be to everyone's taste, but the Cushman Truckster is a nice platform for conversion to mini-rods...here's a couple more...and a bone-stock '81 model..

RED

Those Coffin Racers are cool.Dragula is a classic! Over here ,that sort of thing is regarded in bad taste,we deal with death differently ,and coffins (or caskets in your speak !!) are taboo when being used like this ! Always thought about doing one of those tho'!

The English are much too reserved to ever lampoon death...with the exception of Monty Python, of course...

Here's a little irony for you...the chassis for those casket cars were built by a British-owned company...Ransomes of Ipswich, Ltd...

RED

How come Ransomes got to make them then? Are they ex mower chassis or summat? Ransomes made mowers didnt they?? I live about 25 mls from IPSWICH !!! ....It 's strange how we are raised to have a particular deep sensitive view on something ,isnt it? I s'pose that all societies/countries have their own little ideas about stuff. Im 50 odd yrs old ,and have always done my own thing ,gone my own way ,but Im sure if I built one of those coffin cars ,I would get some hassle from do gooders !

Last edited:
Yeah, Ransomes makes mowers and turf equipment...they bought Cushman, the company that makes those coffin car chassis, and owned/managed it for a few years, before selling to another company that just dissolved...

We might have been neighbo(u)rs...I used to live in Walberswick, about 30 miles from Ipswich...and there wasn't much custom car activity in Suffolk, and certainly none that makes light of death...

But the people were friendly, and the Adnam's was good...

RED

Hell yes ,I know Walberswick ,used to take the kids up there along that coast !Small world eh? Didnt know Ransomes bought Cushman! .Still not much CC activity in Suffolk ,only a few guys ! But a big show "Mersea Madness" on Mersea Island,and of course the Street Rod Nats is now held at the Suffolk Show Ground,after moving from the Essex Show Ground ,due to them now building a Racehorse track there now!! I live 4 mls from there ! Good to talk
Regrds ...........