Coleman BT200x Clutch Rebuild

CDog

The clutch on my wife's mini bike is acting up and I am in trouble with her big time. I took my nephew on a ride and made the mistake of putting him on my wife's almost new BT200X instead of my 2-year-old CT200U. The clutch will not disengage now.

My question is whether these clutches can be rebuilt or is the only option to buy a new one? I took it apart last night and could see discoloring from the heat. The main issue I saw though was that the spring was not as tight as it should have been. That means it tries to take off as soon as you start it, even at idle.

If it is possible to rebuild, can someone point me to a website that sells the parts? I can find complete clutches but not clutch parts. I am hoping I can just replace the spring but would like some opinions for you experts.

Thanks all!

SAS289

I don't recall seeing the parts for these anywhere. You would think you should be able to get the garter spring for these. I wonder if you can get one directly from Max Torque? The clutch on the Coleman looks like a copy of their SS clutch. http://www.maxtorque.com/ss.php

CDog

I found garter springs on one of the websites linked from Max Torque. I have ordered and will post back if they work out.

SAS289

Hopefully the one you ordered is a Max Torque spring. You know darn well the spring on the Coleman clutch is not as resistant to heat as a Max Torque spring. Would be a good idea to see if the new spring matches the length of the old spring or not.

Check this video out:

CDog

The new spring is definitely a Max Torque. I am swapping parts out one failure at a time. That is not a bad thing though. I bought these mini bikes with the goal of teaching my sons some mechanical skills and that is paying off nicely.

If you are looking for the original centrifugal clutch that has the high quality needle bearing you can purchase one straight threw Coleman Powersports. Here is a direct link to the parts page for the Coleman - BT200X Mini Bike so you can purchase one if you like.

http://shopping.na3.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.3546502/sc.27/category.141758/.f
Thank you. I have springs ordered and on the way from Max-Torque. I am hoping to fix the existing clutch but will buy a new one if necessary. I am cheap like that.

SAS289

Thank you. I have springs ordered and on the way from Max-Torque. I am hoping to fix the existing clutch but will buy a new one if necessary. I am cheap like that.
I may order one of those just for something to play with (haha) and see how/if it would work on the stock clutch. Reassembling these clutches are awkward if you don't have the right rig set up.

Could you reply back here if the max torque spring works or not?

I recommend using a Max-Torque Green 2550 rpm engagement clutch spring instead of a standard silver 2200 rpm engagement clutch spring. The whole reason there is different rpm engagement points with these garter springs is to match it to the engines maximum torque rpm number. Check the BT200X owners manual & see what is the maximum torque rpm number is for the Hisun - 196cc Engine & you want a garter spring that has an engagement rpm number as close as possible to that maximum torque rpm number. It makes the clutch work far better on take off having it engage at the most amount of torque the engine produces.

old shed finds

The clutch on my wife's mini bike is acting up and I am in trouble with her big time. I took my nephew on a ride and made the mistake of putting him on my wife's almost new BT200X instead of my 2-year-old CT200U. The clutch will not disengage now.

My question is whether these clutches can be rebuilt or is the only option to buy a new one? I took it apart last night and could see discoloring from the heat. The main issue I saw though was that the spring was not as tight as it should have been. That means it tries to take off as soon as you start it, even at idle.

If it is possible to rebuild, can someone point me to a website that sells the parts? I can find complete clutches but not clutch parts. I am hoping I can just replace the spring but would like some opinions for you experts.

Thanks all!
The shoes seem to last forever a quick fix we will sometimes do is trim 1/2 inch or more off that spring..and build another loop hole carefully bending.
We been here done it. .it last till the clutch gets overheated again.
Make it even tighter and have a higher RPM engage. ..

SAS289

I recommend using a Max-Torque Green 2550 rpm engagement clutch spring instead of a standard silver 2200 rpm engagement clutch spring. The whole reason there is different rpm engagement points with these garter springs is to match it to the engines maximum torque rpm number. Check the BT200X owners manual & see what is the maximum torque rpm number is for the Hisun - 196cc Engine & you want a garter spring that has an engagement rpm number as close as possible to that maximum torque rpm number. It makes the clutch work far better on take off having it engage at the most amount of torque the engine produces.
Yeah bone stock 196's should be around 2500. If re-jetted, etc should be 2700+.

You would think that a lower engagement RPM would be acceptable on these Colemans with their 10/1 gearing, especially for not so aggressive riders? I recall someone recently describing clutch engagement on a Coleman by saying "it takes off like a bat outta hell" LOL. There should be less of that with an earlier engagement.

The 2200 rpm spring should work fine. It just won't take off the same as it did with the stock Coleman garter spring that is rated at ruffly 2600 rpm. Keep us updated when you change out the garter spring to let us know how it worked out.

The combination of a heavy, timid rider plus a steep, bumpy road led to an overheated clutch. I took the clutch apart to check it and clean it and was amazed how easy the spring went back in. That is when I knew the spring was shot. It was just too easy to put back together. I will try the trick about shortening the spring while I wait for the new one to arrive. I went with Max-Torque standard silver though. We will see how it all goes.

Thanks for the great advice and links!

The Max-Torque standard silver garter spring is working out nicely. I put a whole new clutch on my wife's BT200X and then used the new spring on an older CT200U. I bought the CT200U used and it came with two clutches. Neither one worked great, with both not springing back when you let off the throttle. One was worse than the other so I put the new spring in that one. It was still sticky so I cut a single turn off the end and now it is great.

This has all worked out well. I appreciate the guidance and suggestions. I now have 2 extra clutches on hand, one for each shaft size in our fleet of Coleman mini bikes.

The Max-Torque standard silver garter spring is working out nicely. I put a whole new clutch on my wife's BT200X and then used the new spring on an older CT200U. I bought the CT200U used and it came with two clutches. Neither one worked great, with both not springing back when you let off the throttle. One was worse than the other so I put the new spring in that one. It was still sticky so I cut a single turn off the end and now it is great.

This has all worked out well. I appreciate the guidance and suggestions. I now have 2 extra clutches on hand, one for each shaft size in our fleet of Coleman mini bikes.
Whats the shaft size for a bt200x (stock 196cc hisun) clutch? Is it 16mm?