Coleman Clutch Issue

I have about a half dozen rides and a couple hours on my new CT200. When I started it today the clutch is grapping at idle and making a racket. A quick twist and release of the throttle made it stop. It happened numerous times during a 20 minute ride. Will oiling it, as per the instructions, make this go away?

Yes..common on these..guess they not want spend money on oil..clutch might be grabby first ride too until shoes broken in..guess i should make a thread..common Ct200u issues..all really small anoyances..nothing major

Last edited:
Thanks Raskin. I got a Sears minibike when I was 12 in the late 60's. Did all the work on it myself. This Coleman is a hoot and bringing back a lot of memories.

I got my new Coleman a few weeks ago and had the same problem with the clutch. Tried putting axle grease like the youtube video suggested by to no avail. Had to take it into a local small engine shop and get the clutch replaced (paid by Coleman, of course). Now she runs like a little rabbit being chased by a fox.

Fun stuff, that little $400 bike!! :cowboy:

I oil clutch every few rides..warm up bike oil goes in better if clutch warm....few drops of synthetic oil from a Zoom spout bottle..blow dust out of clutch bell..i put high temp grease on bushing once.my bike 1 year old....Dupont teflon chainsaver spray found in Wallymart automotive section great for chains cleaner than oil..i just spray chain at back sprocket and roll bike until whole chain coated..cheers

That clutch will always resort back to doing the same thing....you'll be cleaning that thing every other ride. They burn out easily on the ct200 with short bursts. Upgrade to TC and be headache free....I'll never look back. Takeoff is smooth, no more jerky studder action.

What is a TC clutch? I've been riding several days a week and my clutch has put up a racket more than once requiring oiling. The oiling stops the problem but if there is a better clutch that is probably the way to go.

olddog

What is a TC clutch? I've been riding several days a week and my clutch has put up a racket more than once requiring oiling. The oiling stops the problem but if there is a better clutch that is probably the way to go.
That's why the Coleman comes with racks, to secure the oil cans for the clutch.

Just kidding, but it seemed so easy.

Thanks for the links. Those look nice but I hate to put a $125-$200 clutch on a $500 minibike. Are there any good friction clutches out there for less money?

Thanks for the links. Those look nice but I hate to put a $125-$200 clutch on a $500 minibike. Are there any good friction clutches out there for less money?
I would say....maybe but you might pay over $125 for one :doah: Get the TAV and you wont be sorry :thumbsup: If you get the China one get a Comet belt for it :thumbsup: You can find slightly use TAV's at a good price too :thumbsup:

I would say....maybe but you might pay over $125 for one :doah: Get the TAV and you wont be sorry :thumbsup: If you get the China one get a Comet belt for it :thumbsup: You can find slightly use TAV's at a good price too :thumbsup:
^^What Randy said!!^^
I have one on my two seater go kart and it works great but went with a comet belt from the get go!
Make sure the specs fit your application before ordering:

GO KART TORQUE CONVERTER KIT CLUTCH 3/4" COMET TAV2 30-75 218353A 12T #35 10T 41 | eBay

All the responses of Torque Converter are right, but I read some good things about the Max Torque 457 Clutch. Read that it is much better quality and doesnt sound as rattley ( is that a word? ) as the OEM. I might pick one up to try. Its $38 on Amazon.

I have had good luck with this clutch. It seems though you would have to modify or remove the bar that the chain guard mounts to on the Coleman in order to install the Comet 30 setup, but in the end the Torque Convertor is really nice and very smooth.

Go kart parts Centrifugal Clutch 10T 3/4" #40/41/420 chain, USA Max-Torque

Yup. Thats the MaxTorque. Heard nothing but good things so may pick one up until I decide if I want to go TC.

Make sure your shafts is 3/4. Mine is 5/8ths. Got a max Force with the PMR Jackshaft and it's night and day compared to the stock clutch.

Make sure your shafts is 3/4. Mine is 5/8ths. Got a max Force with the PMR Jackshaft and it's night and day compared to the stock clutch.

I would second this, just switched from worn, noisy stock to, new max force clutch and pmr jackshaft , smooth with almost no noise. less than hour to swap, no cutting frame. Did need longer second chain.