Coleman CT200U 3/4 Shaft - Which TAV Do I Need?

I plan on installing a TAV on a 3/4 shaft Coleman CT200U.

I see there are different series, like series 30 and series 40, a would like to know the difference.

When buying a TAV for the 3/4 shaft CT200U, what specifically should I buy?

The smallblock GX200/6.5HP Clone/Predator 212 engines use the 30 series. The 40 series is for the big block GX390/13HP Clones/Predator 420 engines.

Your engine is a smallblock 6.5 clone but most Colemans have a 5/8" crankshaft, not a 3/4". I would double check the size.

I'm pretty sure there's a spacer plate that has to be purchased too. I would suggest emailing help@OldMiniBikes.com who is [MENTION=31879]CarPlayLB[/MENTION] on this forum. He'll get you what you need.

From another post ...

From SAS289 "The factory Coleman engine's shaft size can be figured out by the last 6 digits of the VIN. Last 6 037962 and after are 5/8. Any number before that has the 3/4" shaft."

Mine is 027265 so it should be the 3/4 shaft. Correct?

With a TAV, is there any need to bypass the governor? Does it provide any added value to do so?
You don't have to remove the governor. It only helps when you start building and modding the engine. It might provide a better throttle feel but in my mind it's not worth it for just that.

SAS289

From another post ...

From SAS289 "The factory Coleman engine's shaft size can be figured out by the last 6 digits of the VIN. Last 6 037962 and after are 5/8. Any number before that has the 3/4" shaft."

Mine is 027265 so it should be the 3/4 shaft. Correct?
You should have the 3/4 with that VIN number.

When I got my Coleman and pulled everything apart I did a double take after I removed the clutch. I knew right away it didn't look right. The 16mm looks odd and tiny compared to the standard 3/4". Easy enough to measure.

I wouldn't pull the governor when using a stock engine and gearing with a TAV. You'll never see governor removed type of RPM's at top speed anyway. The engine just doesn't have enough power to overcome that gearing at top speed.

And keep in mind that when the governor is removed you have just eliminated one of the nice things (IMO) about the stock throttle/gov arrangement. That's the 1 or 2 pull one handed starts. There is no need to use your left hand to open the throttle while pull starting. The throttle plate in the carb is already opened with the stock arrangement and gets closed to the idle position just after the engine starts.

When I got my Coleman and pulled everything apart I did a double take after I removed the clutch. I knew right away it didn't look right. The 16mm looks odd and tiny compared to the standard 3/4". Easy enough to measure.

I wouldn't pull the governor when using a stock engine and gearing with a TAV. You'll never see governor removed type of RPM's at top speed anyway. The engine just doesn't have enough power to overcome that gearing at top speed.

And keep in mind that when the governor is removed you have just eliminated one of the nice things (IMO) about the stock throttle/gov arrangement. That's the 1 or 2 pull one handed starts. There is no need to use your left hand to open the throttle while pull starting. The throttle plate in the carb is already opened with the stock arrangement and gets closed to the idle position just after the engine starts.
SAS289, do you think a TAV is better than removing the governor and adding the billet flywheel and rod on a stock 196cc?

SAS289

SAS289, do you think a TAV is better than removing the governor and adding the billet flywheel and rod on a stock 196cc?
My comment has to do with stock gearing with a TAV on a Coleman. If you want to run high RPM's you will have to remove the governor and add a flywheel and rod. If you don't care to run high RPM's you could bolt on a TAV with the stock gearing and be happy with the benefits of the TAV without pulling the governor and everything that goes with it.

If you want the TAV and high RPM's you will have to change gearing to allow the engine to rev higher at top speed.

hi guys, i was checking mine, it is actually a HISUN, does that matter? mfg date was 2015 and the VIN last 6 are 015957 so thinking 3/4? will take off the clutch just being lazy ;) thanks!~

SAS289

hi guys, i was checking mine, it is actually a HISUN, does that matter? mfg date was 2015 and the VIN last 6 are 015957 so thinking 3/4? will take off the clutch just being lazy ;) thanks!~
You should have a 3/4". I think the change was around mid 2016 or so when they started with the 16mm. The Hisun engine, like any other Honda clone should be fine as long as it wasn't over revved or not maintained.