Coleman CT200U custom build

SamM

A couple months ago, I purchased a new CT200U. The bike was brought home and completely disassembled. A couple of Hemi Predator engines had been purchased previously, as I looked for a good deal on a bike. My plan was to make a nice minibike that I can use for hunting and hauling on my property. It needs to have enough power to climb steep hills and also be stable enough not flip over on me. Parts have been purchased and reassembly has now started. A CL-1 cam still needs to be picked up for the Hemi and I may spring for a stainless steel valve kit. We’ll see.

The Predator gets a complete rebuild with governor removal, ARC billet rod, ARC flywheel, 18lb valve springs, CT200 pipe, muffler, and a Mikuni intake and carb. The engine will also have an ARC billet side cover with both side cover and head studs. A CVT has been added and the engine is rubber mounted in the frame. This thing should rock.

Making the bike more stable was very important. To do this, the frame was cut a lengthened 12” with 7/8” steel tubing. Two more sections of 7/8” steel tubing will strengthen the frame at key points front and rear. Some 5/8” tubing will be plug welded and used to index the front and rear frame sections. Some decent weather would be nice to get this finished up.

The photo shows a Kohler 2000 Series engine in place of the Hemi. A jackshaft will be used to make it possible to use several different engines in this bike. You may notice that the front end has been modified to use the same drum brake as the rear. I’m currently looking for options for a front suspension and I may use a suspension tractor seat.

Please comment and offer any suggestions. It would be appreciated.

SamM

Attachments

Sam,
I really like the positive braking on our Ken-Bar Whirlwind. It uses a larger-than-normal band rear brake, like 5 or 6 inches, but uses a right foot brake lever with a rod connection. Maybe a motorcycle style, heavy-duty cable and hand lever would be better for off-road use. A foot type brake lever would get bent over and over.
Hope this helps,
SAT

SamM

Thanks stargazer7467! The racks are definitely going back on it. This will be a utility bike for me to use for various duties at my house and property.

SAT,
The bike will have front and rear drum brakes on the wheels with right and left handlebar levers. I thought about adding a disc brake to the jackshaft but decided against it.

SamM

SamM

I think the utility was built into it by Coleman. The U in CT200U probably means utility. Just a guess. The racks and bigger tires make it more of a utility bike than most other mini bikes. In my opinion anyway. The stock seat will most likely be replaced with a tractor suspension seat. I have one in mind. This will free up more area on the frame for another rack, or possibly a small padded box for my dog to sit in. He goes everywhere with me, so he’s going to want to ride. Lights and a battery will need to be added. A switch to turn the lights on and off is in the plan too. A new Trail Tech killswitch will replace the crap switch that I trashed. A rotopax will haul extra fuel on the front rack. An electric chainsaw will be carried on the rear rack. Tow points or a trailer hitch will need to be added as well.

That’s some of my plans with the CT200U.

SamM

Attachments

Last edited:

SamM

The frame is done on the CT200U. A little cutting, twisting, squaring, welding and grinding needed to be done in order to finish it. Still needs some paint but I’ll have to heat the shop to do that. The jackshaft mount has been welded in, as well. A new front suspension is being fabbed for it. This thing is going to be very powerful and stable on the hills.

SamM

Attachments

I'm loving this build as well.
I have a CT200U that I'm building for hunting/camping/utility as well....
Keep us updated and keep adding pictures.

Hit me up sometime and we can swap ideas and info

The frame, for the most part has been finished. Just a few things left to do. Clean up a few welds and paint it. Unfortunately, the Winter weather has kept me from doing much on the Coleman. My current task is designing and building a new front suspension. Leading link forks from my Fox Thunderbolt are the starting point for the new front end. I would like to install heim joints to the bottom of the forks. A new swing arm will be made by using the stock Coleman fork tubing. New clamps need to be fabbed for the wider Coleman front wheel. Better shocks will be a must have too. I have a new set of hydraulic units that may work.

Yes, the front wheel is now a Coleman CT200U rear wheel with a drum brake. The rear brake on the front works perfectly and has new EBC brake shoes. The drum needs to be flipped to the left side in order to operate properly. My plan was to use disc brakes on the bike but the drums should work well in the mud and muck this bike will be ridden in. I just ordered two new Coleman rear wheels. I plan to carry a spare on the CT200U. Everything is being made with mostly stock Coleman parts. That keeps spare parts easy to get.

I also have a new tractor seat from (GoPowersports.com). The Mikuni carb has now been changed to a Tillotson diaphram carb that works a lot like fuel injection. A few engine parts need to be purchased before the Hemi Predator engine assembly is started. New SS valves, valve keepers, lash caps, an ARC billet side cover and LED work lights are in my Cart.

EDIT: My shop is in serious need of a good cleaning. I hope to get that and a few other things accomplished this week. We have higher temps in the forecast.

SamM

Attachments

Last edited:
That's looking sweet Sam!! I looked up and ordered a pair of handle bars after seeing yours...don't have anything to put them on but thought they were cool!! :laugh:

Thanks, jdogg! The bike is looking sweet. I’m actually not going to use the handlebars in the picture. They aren’t quite high enough. Just bought a set of BMX bars that will fit much better. I spent some time in the shop and got a little cleaning done. Still much to do.

SamM

MJL

How did you get the rear wheel for the front? Did you just call up Coleman? If so, would you mind sharing what it cost? I might be interested in doing something similar.

Looking good Sam.
I'm almost finished with a total rebuild of my 1st mini bike,
so already thinking of the next one.

#1 ain't seeing no dirt so #2 ain't seeing no asphalt!
I like where this is going.:grind:

Thanks for sharing.:thumbsup: