Coleman CT200U-EX engine upgrade!

The original 196cc engine was just not cutting it on the hills. The main seal on the crank was leaking and the governor was worn and bogging down the engine when it should not have.
So a new Non-Hemi engine from Harbor Freight 212 cc was cobbled in today. I was able to find a new old style engine. Most of the parts were transferred to the new engine. The clutch on the 196cc engine will N O T fit the 212 engine as it is too small. I had a spare non-roller bearing clutch that was proper.
The chain drive had to be modified to match the holes in the new engine, it all matched up in the end.
The flywheel and coils as well as the sheet metal wire guide and plate all matched up.
Oiled up the engine and filled the tank with alcohol free gas. The engine started on the first pull. Once warm the idle was adjusted down to normal.
He took the bike for its first ride for a mile or so and the engine worked as it should.
We drained the oil and got the milling particles out of the crankcase and refilled with fresh clean oil. The drive chain was adjusted.
I took the bike for a ride and GPS said the bike did 25 MPH before the governor kicked in ( throttle stop screw back out fully)
The bike will pull a wheelie with my 200 pounds on it!
We will do another 20 mile ride in the mountains in the AM. Should be fun.
new engine.jpg

SAS289

The Coleman 200's have pretty good stock gearing. Do you think a gearing change would help with the type of trails you are riding? I seen the trails you ride in your pictures. If I were riding those trails I would go with a 60 tooth sprocket. Better gearing for slower, and more difficult parts of the trails.

SAS289

I envy you guys. Many of us don't have cool places to ride like that.

Street riding sucks. A couple weeks ago I was testing my bike and put it on the street. In the short time it took me to change a jet I was about to go out again and the police drove by. This means some busy body neighbor called them. And I'm running a stock muffler. They may have not liked the speed. But big deal. Maybe 35 before I backed off. If I would have went out only seconds earlier I would have been busted.

I have the same bike. I did a stage 1 and a tav 2 and it screams. I live one mile from a paved road. Plenty of hills and trails here. I don’t need a 60 tooth sprocket.

SAS289

I have the same bike. I did a stage 1 and a tav 2 and it screams. I live one mile from a paved road. Plenty of hills and trails here. I don’t need a 60 tooth sprocket.
Nice.

I chose different gearing. The 9 tooth went onto the TAV before it was installed onto the bike. Still waiting for my 60 tooth to come in. I want it to scream (RPM) a little louder than the stock Coleman gearing and TAV will allow.

We took a 8 1/2 mile ride in my mountains on some of the steepest and rocky trails we could find. Patrick's new HF 212 non-hemi engine never missed a beat with enough torque for a lot of wheel spin and wheelies.
He loves the new engine.

We went on a 10.5 mile ride today on some very changeling trails. His new engine pulled hard and strong. No problems.
My bike had no issues. My 212 has always been a great engine. The TAV behaved.