Coleman ct200u

I have a coleman ct200u. I just got it running again finally but when I start it, it wants to go on its own.. does anybody have idea how to fix it???

SAS289

I have a coleman ct200u. I just got it running again finally but when I start it, it wants to go on its own.. does anybody have idea how to fix it???
If the engine is idling properly this is usually a clutch issue. You will need to service the clutch.

Here's the video from Coleman.

Last edited:

SAS289

The oiling method is great to troubleshoot the issue and if you want to oil it all the time like the guy in the video. Oil also works well if your clutch has a bronze bushing.

The guy in the video is oiling a clutch with a caged needle bearing. Every Coleman 200 since the middle of 2016 came equipped with a clutch that uses the caged needle bearing.

If you have a caged needle bearing like you see in the picture, a decent quality wheel bearing grease is the way to go. You could pack the bearing with grease which is different from the Coleman video. Keep the grease inside the bearing area only. With grease you will not have to oil it before every ride.
20200518_203249 (3).jpg 20200518_203249 (3).jpg

Last edited:
I have two of the CT200u's and both of the stock clutches would catch sitting at idle. You may be able to clean/lube it, but save yourself the headache and buy a quality one from OldMiniBikes Warehouse. The crappy clutch is the only thing that has gone wrong on either bike, so I think it is a good investment! I think I payed $26 three years ago, and haven't had the problem since.

SAS289

Anyone know the right Valve Clearance??
Keep hearing different measurements lol
That's because there are different opinions on what works for others and what is recommended by cam manufactures. The original GX200 and clone engines called for .006" on the intake and .008" on the exhaust engine cold.

You can set them tighter if you want but you may not want to go less than .003". Try .003 intake and .004 exhaust and make sure you are at top dead center with the piston at the end of the compression stroke.

That's because there are different opinions on what works for others and what is recommended by cam manufactures. The original GX200 and clone engines called for .006" on the intake and .008" on the exhaust engine cold.

You can set them tighter if you want but you may not want to go less than .003". Try .003 intake and .004 exhaust and make sure you are at top dead center with the piston at the end of the compression stroke.

One person told me intake 0.1mm exhaust 0.2mm

Another told me 0.15mm for both
But nothing seems to be working. I didn't 15mm and it was hard to pull.

SAS289

.1mm would be appx .004" and .2mm appx .008". This should run the engine if you want those settings. But you would be better using .1mm for both valves.

It is critical that you do these adjustments close to top dead center. You need to remove the spark plug first. Then with the rocker cover off slowly pull the starter to turn the engine. Watch for the intake rocker opening the valve. Just after it closes slowly keep turning and you will see the exhaust rocker open the valve slightly then close. Just after the exhaust valve closes stop turning the engine and do the adjustment. If you do not see the exhaust rocker move then it may be way too loose to start with. Both valves must be closed for this adjustment.

If it is hard to pull your setting is incorrect on the exhaust side.

There should be a couple few videos on you tube for this adjustment.

Last edited:

old shed finds

Clutch spring has been too hot and lost tension. .Tractor Supply Hillard clutch is the way to go...They take allot of heat and hard riding and hang in there. .

SAS289

Clutch spring has been too hot and lost tension. .Tractor Supply Hillard clutch is the way to go...They take allot of heat and hard riding and hang in there. .
If this happened to my clutch I would start by shortening the spring. If that didn't work I would then order the $11 green Max Torque spring from Studzracing.com.