Coleman Frame Cracked…What Are My Options?

Bird Brain

Whats your welding capability? Or access to capability? That would influence my direction of repair. Limited capability i might would box over the crack with 2 pieces of angle. Simple. Allows a novice welder plenty of in position, comfortable, straight line fillet welds. Bulky and ugly yes but durable in its loaded direction, i wouldn't pull alot of wheelies however. If your weld capability is advanced i would cut it at the crack, the foot rest weld point and in front the kickstand bracket and place plugs inside the tubing at both cut points, re-assemble, and re-weld keeping in mind you might have to spring (tweek) the frame a bit to fit the plugged sections back in together due to it being the cradle frame design. Not a big deal really for someone with solid fab skills. Hope this helps. Good Luck with it.

Steve73

I bought it used and didn’t see it until I cleaned it up. Don’t know whether to ignore it or fix it. I originally planned to clean the bike and resell it but it will be pretty hard to do with a cracked frame.
i would fix it so you can enjoy it with peace of mind. otherwise your just asking for more trouble than what you got going on with that crack.

Minimichael

Somebody said it here already, the very first place to start is with the company. It shouldn't ever hurt to ask, and sometimes it just totally pays off. Also depends how nice you want it to look. Personally, I'd take it to a guy, because I can't weld well enough to be happy with it.

Also, I'm fairly new, but haven't heard of any frames disintegrating from hairline fractures. It's possible the crack is an anomaly and maybe it happened from a pothole or other knucklehead impact, and isn't necessarily going to happen again and again. Maybe start considering getting another frame body and transfer everything over? Strip and part this one out? Might take a while to sell as-is...

Last edited:
Somebody said it here already, the very first place to start is with the company. It shouldn't ever hurt to ask, and sometimes it just totally pays off. Also depends how nice you want it to look. Personally, I'd take it to a guy, because I can't weld well enough to be happy with it.

Also, I'm fairly new, but haven't heard of any frames disintegrating from hairline fractures. It's possible the crack is an anomaly and maybe it happened from a pothole or other knucklehead impact, and isn't necessarily going to happen again and again. Maybe start considering getting another frame body and transfer everything over? Strip and part this one out? Might take a while to sell as-is...
Not really sure why you are addressing me, but sure...why listen to real world actual experience with those bikes. I believe he asked for opinions. If you do not like mine....please feel free to pass it on by. Have a good Sunday.....

Minimichael

Not really sure why you are addressing me, but sure...why listen to real world actual experience with those bikes. I believe he asked for opinions. If you do not like mine....please feel free to pass it on by. Have a good Sunday.....
I was just giving mine. Tagging it to yours was inadvertent, and nothing personal, sorry.

Feeling a bit sensitive? You gave your opinion, he gave his in response to yours. If you don't want people questioning anything you say, why bother posting on here?