Coleman runability issues

So the last two years, our Coleman 100X was the smoothest running mini bike we had and the one that hadn't been ridden much. Not this summer lol. So the last week or so it's been running like crap. I did all the typical simple fixes. I drained the gas tank and replaced it with fresh gas. I took the carb off and apart. I cleaned the entire thing from the bowl to the pinhole sized jet. I took the exhaust off just to see if it was plugged up. I replaced the spark plug even though everybody had told me the original one had a ton of life left. I removed the centrifugal clutch and cleaned that and lubed the shaft. I double checked the springs for the throttle arms and the throttle adjustment up near the throttle grip. So today it did start running better. The problem was that I didn't have to give it any gas at all for it to go "full throttle". I'm guessing this is in relation to me tinkering with the throttle arms and springs right? I'm sure there's an art to dialing that in. Unfortunately I'm a printer, not a mechanic. Can anybody please simply explain the mechanic behind my problem and what I should be looking for? Thanks guys. Have a great night.

You opened a can of worms didn't you
Sounds like you bent the throttle spring the one that goes from carb to govener arm if thats not it some have a spring on the carb that helps the throttle close that will cause this to
Best fix if I'm right and you shortened the throttle spring is get a new spring kit and put on I've wasted a day trying to bend it back to stock setting and new kit is less than 10 I believe
Fix 2 in a pinch put a light spring on Governor arm to bolt that hold fuel tank on but then you will have to put a wire tie on the throttle spring to get any throttle and will affect the Governor operation

All that is for a 196 motor or 212 if its a 79 I can't remember the linkage

SAS289

You need to find out why the governor cannot move the throttle on the carb to the idle position on startup. I don't know the linkage/governor arrangement on the small engines but on 196/212 the governor is responsible for idle at startup.

Is there multiple holes on the linkage parts? What if you put one of the springs in an incorrect hole?

Thanks. I was kinda leaning towards that. Fortunately springs are cheap.

Is the nut on the governor arm supposed to be snug?
Yes but the arm should move free
I think you have a 98cc motor if you could post a pic of the linkage would help because I'm not sure if they are the same

You need to find out why the governor cannot move the throttle on the carb to the idle position on startup. I don't know the linkage/governor arrangement on the small engines but on 196/212 the governor is responsible for idle at startup.

Is there multiple holes on the linkage parts? What if you put one of the springs in an incorrect hole?
Doesn't it sound like the spring that pulls the governor arm got shortened thats how i learned not to mess with it but I'm not sure on the 98 my train goes to 196 /212 i wanna help not give bad advice

SAS289

Doesn't it sound like the spring that pulls the governor arm got shortened thats how i learned not to mess with it but I'm not sure on the 98 my train goes to 196 /212 i wanna help not give bad advice
Possibly. But like you say a picture of the linkage would help here.