Comet 2 speed jac-mount help

FB_IMG_1483923247813.jpg IMG_6089.JPG

I bought this comet jac-mount just like it is, I know it's for a 2 speed setup, but I'm confused on how the setup is aranged on the jackshaft. In the the ad it say's manual shift. I'm use to the automatic shifting 2 speed setups. Any info appreciated. Hopefully someone has a photo of a complete setup

What are you using it on? Are you going to use the Comet 2 speed secondary from Black Widow? That is a 24t one way sprocket and a 12t secondary clutch. The only new double chain primary clutch is a Max-Torque 12t. You need to read my Lil Indian Build off starting here:
https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/...rs-lil-indian-model-600-vintage-class-32.html

To use the jackshaft plate and a Comet set up, you would need roughly 9" between PTO and jackshaft centers. That is not possible. Black Widow sells a complete Max Torque 2 speed assembly (ain't cheap) that might work if you are using a Tecumseh engine. It most likely will not work with a Briggs because the secondary clutch will interfere with the tank (unless you go with a small tank or adapt a 3.5 hp tank to a 5hp engine--maybe). If you insist on a Briggs, then you'll need to have the Comet secondary sprocket redone to 13 teeth by Max Torque and beg Black Widow to sell you a 21 tooth radial one way sprocket.

You really don't want to know what you'll put into it to make it work.

That looks like the manual 2 they used on Bonanzas . The cable attached on the outside of the bracket . Look at the 2 speed assembly that Studeman sold . Be on the 2nd page on parts for sale under NOS Bonanza 2 speed .

I'm putting it on a ccs charger. I'm shooting for making the jac-mount like it would have came originally in that ad I in my first post but that's the only photo I've ever seen of this setup and it's not very detailed. I have comet 2 speed stuff that I can use but I'm not sure if it's correct or how it's suppose be setup. I would be nice if someone had some detailed photos of a original comet jac-mount.

I'm putting it on a ccs charger. I'm shooting for making the jac-mount like it would have came originally in that ad I in my first post but that's the only photo I've ever seen of this setup and it's not very detailed. I have comet 2 speed stuff that I can use but I'm not sure if it's correct or how it's suppose be setup. I would be nice if someone had some detailed photos of a original comet jac-mount.
James, that's not the problem here.

This is far more complicated than you think. You only have one option for a driver clutch unless you have a dual sprocket vintage clutch with an odd numbered tooth count. The tooth counts determine the centerline distance and the chain length. The Lil indian jackshaft plate is nearly identical in design aside from the "shift lever." My build-off bike will help you to see what it should look like. I went through multiple scenarios with the help of Jim Donovan at Max-Torque (hours on the phone) to figure out what works and what won't. My thread gives you all the tools to make the calculations you have to have and how to do them.

You need to know the number of teeth on the driver clutch, the one-way sprocket and the driven Comet secondary clutch. The presently available (and there's no reason to think it's changed) is a 12 driven secondary and a 24 one way. You will need an odd tooth count driver clutch for any hope of making this work without 1) huge slop in one chain or 2) a skipping chain. From the looks of your plate, I imagine you've got between 7 and 8 1/4 inches of centerline wiggle room. All of this is also dependent on the length of the slots on the engine plate.

Calculations have to show a chain link count as an even number for both chains and there should be a 4 link difference between chains based on a #35 chain. Gold chain (Kart) will not work as it is too wide for the dual sprocket clutch and drivens.