Comet 40 Series Max Reliable Horsepower?

I know Comet rates the 40 series at 18 horsepower max, but many people run them far beyond that rating. I see them on built big blocks pushing 30-40 horsepower, Predator 670cc builds which already have 22 horsepower stock, and even on a 60 horsepower Predator 670cc lawn mower. My question is how far past the rating can you reliably go before you start getting belt slip/shredding? Would a 40 series even hold up to a Predator 420cc with a mild cam?

chrisr

I have a VC460 on a homemade bike that I was overpowering the 40 driven in the low 20s and when I got it into the high 20s the belt slipping and overrunning the 40 driven was really bad (correct clutch alignment and belt length). I ended up going with the Comet 94-c/90d and since have no issues with full throttle take offs. I have the 40 on 8 & 10hp on big mini bikes like in my avatar and it works great off road.

Attachments

I have a VC460 on a homemade bike that I was overpowering the 40 driven in the low 20s and when I got it into the high 20s the belt slipping and overrunning the 40 driven was really bad (correct clutch alignment and belt length). I ended up going with the Comet 94-c/90d and since have no issues with full throttle take offs. I have the 40 on 8 & 10hp on big mini bikes like in my avatar and it works great off road.
If I do a big block I might be better keeping the stock cam then.

MJL

Got any videos of your rides?

The stock 420 seemed to do fine with the Comet 40 on my homemade but the VC460 makes a lot more power. Should also mention the default 40 driven spring is red for inboard but in my setup I had to use the reverse wound yellow spring for outboard.

https://www.bmikarts.com/Reverse-Wound-Comet-Yellow-Spring-for-40-Series-Driven_p_4381.html
I would be doing essentially a Stage 1 420 but with added safety parts (billet flywheel/rod). Keeping the stock cam. Guessing around 20 horsepower.

20 forum horsepower :)

I think you're going to need more ingredients in your recipe to get to that number.
A site called Affordable Go Karts sells a pre-built 420cc engine that's very similar to what I plan, and they have recorded 22 horsepower and 6400 RPM. No idea on torque though. I've also seen GX390s with nothing but a governor removal, air filter, and exhaust (stock carb) produce just shy of 18 horsepower. The stage 1 kits add a decent bit of power and really let the engine breathe.