Comet clutch on a Rupp

ELT

I just put a comet clutch on my latest Rupp build. I need to raise the engagement rpms slightly. I'm running the Rupp secondary clutch with the spring at it's tightest setting. I see that there are a number of different springs available for these clutches to change engaugement and backshift speeds. I'm working with a 4hp tecumseh engine. Does anybody have any helpful input.

Which engagement do you need to change?
Engagement off idle would be driver springs, overdrive would be driven spring.
Driver springs are a garter type and available with different RPM engagements, driven spring is a torsion spring and also available in different engagements.

ELT

I think my engagement rpm is low. It's kinda soggy with acceleration. Does anyone know what rpm a stock rupp clutch engauged at?

kayde

Good subject, im in on this info.
As im thinkin both springs on my scrambler could/should be replaced, probably shouldve considered them when i got the new belt.

Thanks for the links also.

ELT

I am running a comet 99 for a 5/8 belt.
It's actually a comet 88 to use a 5/8 symmetrical belt. I went through the carburetor and installed a new governor spring tonight. This helped some, I started shortening the garder springs 1 coil at a time till I got the engagement rpms up to around 2200. This has all helped but it doesn't preform anything like my bikes that have the rupp primary clutch on them. Black Widow motorsports has a comet type clutch available. Has anybody used this clutch and how does it perform and better yet how has it been calibrated?