Comet or clone Torq Converters on Mini Baja cycles

I picked up a wrecked project on craigslist and have put a new Harbor Freight engine on it and converted the throttle and disabled the governor.

It still has the original centrifugal clutch and jackshaft and it runs probably ok for what it is. I assume with a TQ the low gear will be lower and the high
ratio will be higher than the centrifugal clutch. I assume it is worth it to change to TQ but should I get and authentic Comet model USA made for about $200 or go with chinese clones at about 85 dollars as far as I can tell. It appears that there are at least 3 or 4 different chinese mfgrs to choose from and I was wondering if one of the chinese TQs has stood out in quality and durability/longevity etc. Or has it been proven that you get what you pay for and the Comet outlasts them all easily.

If there is a preference for specific clone models I would appreciate the sources as well.
Thanks
Scott in Atlanta

I took what I thought was the appropriate precautions and bought an aerosol boat horn so I can warn people ahead of me to look out !
Or were you referring to supplemental life insurance ? Perhaps I should get some of those armored pants that loggers use so the chain saw wont cut their legs off in case a grenade goes off between my legs ? ? ?

Harquebus

I guess he's saying to get a billet connecting rod at the least, but those Hazard Fraught engines are known to fling the flywheel magnets off into a low orbit as well (when they are ungoverned and rev over 3,600).

One of those digital tachs might be a good idea to keep your revs in the 4,000-4,500 range.

I took what I thought was the appropriate precautions and bought an aerosol boat horn so I can warn people ahead of me to look out !
Or were you referring to supplemental life insurance ? Perhaps I should get some of those armored pants that loggers use so the chain saw wont cut their legs off in case a grenade goes off between my legs ? ? ?
It’s just common sense man, no need to be an ass
Plus that fake gas tank will prob save you

Massacre- you expressed some disagreement with my actions and didnt state a single reason why. I didnt call you an ass, I tried to turn it into some fun. and guess what in the hell you were talking about but could not put into words. If you cannot support an assertion you might as well keep it to your self instead of hoping others will try to read your mind and speak for you.

All I did was change out the mechanical governor for a homo erectus governor. The predator engines cost $119 daily price and less when on sale. I plan to have fun but I am not trying to break it. Since no one around here knows exactly what you were thinking I am going to say that a new
engine probably costs less than a lot of your "precautions"

So Massacre let me tell you what I wouldnt do. I wouldnt open my mouth unless I had something useful in some way to say.

Hi Scott, I would use the Comet TAV because they are very well made unlike the china ones.
I have very good luck with them and been on rides where others have used the clone TAV'S
and they weren't nearly as reliable and kept shredding belts. Try some of the carb and air cleaner mods
that other people have done with good results on a stock clone engine.

I am sorry that you did not receive the response that you expected.
I do not make the rules here.
BTW I did a search here on the forums and was able to get 10 pages of opinions on Comet VS China TAVs

I hope you are able to find the help you need.