Comet Series 40 Belt size and removal question

I'm wanting to remove this from my Super Bronc 2 VT-1040... I removed the bolt at the end of the engine drive shaft, but the drive 'clutch' isn't budging. Am I missing something? Do I need a grear puller or some other tool? Also, the belt that came on it is a NAPA 25-07800/24308 5/8" wide belt. Something that I read showed that the 40 series should have a 7/8" or 1" belt? Should I change out the belt, or am I good?

Thanks Richard... I used about a can of WD40 and ultimately did use a gear puller to convince the torque converter off. I'm going to clean the shaft up and disassemble the Comet series 40, clean and reassemble with dry lubricant. I also have the proper size belt coming... thanks for the chart and help on this one!

I'm wanting to remove this from my Super Bronc 2 VT-1040... I removed the bolt at the end of the engine drive shaft, but the drive 'clutch' isn't budging. Am I missing something? Do I need a grear puller or some other tool? Also, the belt that came on it is a NAPA 25-07800/24308 5/8" wide belt. Something that I read showed that the 40 series should have a 7/8" or 1" belt? Should I change out the belt, or am I good?
You could try forcing the driven to open and then pull the belt over the driver. As short as the belt is it probably wont reach. You can remove the bolt on the driven and see if it will come off.

Doug

chrisr

You could also try removing the driven bolt and slide the driven off the shaft or unbolt the driven/brake bracket which is held on with four bolts.