Comet TAV on Doodle Bug

Motra

Some of the Doodle Bugs I see here with the 6.5 clone and TAV have the engine slightly elevated with a spacer under the engine. Is there a reason for the spacer? Will the TAV fit without lifting the engine?

I did mine without an engine spacer by using the old style Tav plate (cheaper unit anyway), changed the holes for angle and cut the chain roller off the bike. It's been doing great so far but needs paint.

I like mine to hang low. :doah:

Last edited:
Check the pic of my custom Doodlebug

it looks like it might fit, it would be close. You could always clearance the TAV mounting plate at the bottom

I use the plate as a motor mount so no new slots were nessesary. The motor plate is 3/8"

delray

Motra,here is a picture of a older unit that uses a metal backing plate. this the kind you want to use,that works the best:thumbsup: aluminum unit takes up more room and gets in the way of the engine little with out modiflying things:doah:

keep us posted on how it works for you. with a 6.5 and torque converter and the factory rear sprocket it should go 40+ and lift the front tire right up with no problems

Wish I would of thought of that

Using the older style tav is a good idea, to fit my newer style tav2 on the same bike and engine I had to notch the engine mounting bracket in the back corner grind some of the aluminum backing plate on the tav around the diameter of the bottom and on the back so it cleared the frame and the back oil filler on the engine. then I had to not only raise the engine but tilt it slightly forward. It was well worth it I, but it sounds like it could have been alot easier with the older style :doah:

those things look way better with the fenders lowered closer to the tires. nIce work.
Thanks, that was THE FIRST mod I had to do,,,, then I worried about the engine. :thumbsup: Why they put the fender sky high, I'll never know but it looks way cool riding along side it now. (low and fat) :thumbsup: Once I give it a good color it won't be half bad for a commie bike. :wink:

That does look pretty good, such i simple thing made it look alot better:thumbsup: , mines still goin for the wanabe suspension dirt bike look :thumbdown: