Comet TAV2 30 / Predator 212 Pulley Alignment...???

Hey guys I'm in the process of putting this used comet tav2 30 on my new Predator 212 engine. I'm having some difficulties getting the flat sides of those pulleys in line with each other....

I have a spacer on the crankshaft side, and while the factory 10 tooth sprocket for the driven side is a bit narrower, I'd like to use a 8 or 9 tooth sprocket which is a tad bit wider. In the pictures I have one with the factory 10 tooth sprocket and no washers, and then one with a 9 mm sprocket also with no washers but no matter what I do the driven pulley is sticking out further than the drive pulley.... do I just need a wider spacer on the crankshaft or what am I looking at here?

Thanks,
Rick

Attachments

chrisr

It may be just the picture, but t looks like the backing plate is being tweaked by pressing up against the head and making the backing plate not straight.

gbabins1

^^^ Chrisr could be right, although I still had to add shims to my crankshaft to get mine lined up as well. Otherwise it will eat the belt in no time. You can pick up 3/4 shims at Lowes. :cool:

It may be just the picture, but t looks like the backing plate is being tweaked by pressing up against the head and making the backing plate not straight.
I think it's just the picture,.. when I mounted it to the crankcase of the engine, there was no binding on the plate,.. it is right up against the heat shield, but not under a bind or anything..

Did you mean Drive pulley,.. or actually the Driven pulley (Rear)? ... My Rear/Driven pulley is already too far out in comparison to the Drive (Front) Pulley..
Sorry, didn't notice my typo. I meant the drive pulley / the pulley attached to the motor. I have the spacer + 2 shims to get it things lined up on my bike.

Mine is also Comet Branded TAV2 30 .. no key'd spacers/washers.. ???

I'm going to call around and see if I can find some good washers/Spacers/Bushings today...

I spoke with the folks over at Comet Kart Sales in regards to some of this and here's what they had to say...

Pulley alignment: Should be very close, but doesn't have to be perfect. The Drive pulley can be slightly inset which actually helps when your sitting at idle.

Drive pulley Position on Crank: With the Spacer and the Stationary Pulley in place there should be a minimum between a 1/4 - 3/8 inch crank shaft showing.

Washers: None of the washers or spacers are Keyed.

Sprockets: The factory 10T sprocket has a small collar on both sides of it. A lot of the aftermarket ones have one collar that is a bit larger. This will cause the Driven pulley to stick out a small amount further than "Factory".

I went down to Home Depot yesterday and purchased some 3/4" ID x 1-1/4" OD "Steel Spacer Bushings". They are aprox. 1/16" thick. With three of them installed my Drive pulley was still just slightly inset compared to the Driven pulley, but I had right at 3/8" shaft still sticking out. I'll probably go with that. I didn't get any pics, but I'll try and post some of that this evening..