Comette Chopper Trike!

markus

If this was done at home it was done well. The welds seem to match throughout the bike. Most backyard enthusiasts, even if they can weld decent cannot match another bead on the bike. There's no documentation as of now but that doesn't mean it did or didn't happen. We've already seen many examples of survivors that do not match brochures and so on. Hopefully there's an ex employee out there whose holding onto some info and we will stumble across it!

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]

Yea, it definitely would have not left that shop as a 2 wheeled chopper. I agree it may have been a "one off" and not production. but if comet machine & tool didn't "build it" then it left there as a knock down kit and went to someone that was a good welder. Judging by the shit hole they were built at, I am guessing they didnt make their fortune building them and they probably would have mounted pontoons on the friggin thing if they thought they could sell one out on the street in front :laugh:

Last edited:

1971_MB1A

Yes markus I totally agree with you on the lack of info on these bikes and that they did make a hardtail traditional bike as well. (talked with a member on here several months ago that had one as a kid) From what I can see on what I call my (early version prototype) is that the jackshaft mount plates are totally different than the ones in the brochure bike pic and also there is a small square tab factory welded to the outside of the fork tubes. My other bike is totally complete with original engine #'s matching etc and the jackshaft mount plates are the same as the one in the brochure pic and it does not have the small square tab factory welded to the outside of the fork tubes. BigBoysToys,I told you it was pitted/rusty and you saw the pic before you bought it yet never said anything until now over 6 months later. I did no work on it other than box and send it to you. Your choice to listen or not on information as to how some of these bikes were/should be as far as the restoration part goes (I mainly go by the original bikes I have for restoration information etc not just how someone thinks they should be) and I currently have over 100 mini bikes and have been collecting them for over 25 years (If that says anything)

1971_MB1A

As far as the built at a "shit hole" comment goes,I never judge that as I personally know a guy that built from the ground up an all steel body custom willys coupe in an old run down dirt floor garage and he took 2nd place with it in his class on a national level therefore I never judge a book by it's cover.

markus

I seen on Carmines trike those little square tabs on the forks, They had me scratching my head a little when I didn't see them on the bikes in the Gallery or in the ad. Good to know they are on something else as well, Have to have the boys look at the date codes on the carlisles to see how they fall as opposed to the Mini bike guide year/month.

That frame is quite different from the one in the ad. Axel location, foot peg mount, and front seat mount. The fit of the seat and the different color forks would make me wonder if it's not a Comette frame?

BigBoysToys,I told you it was pitted/rusty and you saw the pic before you bought it yet never said anything until now over 6 months later. I did no work on it other than box and send it to you. Your choice to listen or not on information as to how some of these bikes were/should be as far as the restoration part goes (I mainly go by the original bikes I have for restoration information etc not just how someone thinks they should be) and I currently have over 100 mini bikes and have been collecting them for over 25 years (If that says anything)
not sure when it was,but a few months? or more back there was a few posts about you not answering pms/emails.
i threw my 2 cents in and never looked back.
except....as it turns out..i was Wrong.
so,i figure ill Apologize in public as well as pm.
i confused your handle with another members and its my own fault.
i never should have posted before checking my facts and i did and look what happened.

so,again,i Apologize for my mistake/stupidity and doing wrong to your Credibility,and hope you can forgive me.
sincerely,Rob

( and thats a helluva cool chopper. )