Converting a Columbia/MTD to a flat mount

Hent

Hey, Welcome to the forum. I have two columbia/mtd's and so far have only put one back together with the proper parts, and the second will be without the jackshaft, so I'd be interested to see what you come up with.

Another member on here, deezildennis, I believe is going with a straight chain, but we'll have to see, hopefully he'll chime in here....

Ok, I know I am new and I will probably offend some purist but.... My son bought what we found out to be a Columbia/MTD frame a while back. It has none of the brand specific goodies like the jack shaft or the torque converter. I am planning on replacing the inclined mounting plate with a flat mount so I can mount a traditional 5 hp B&S with a centrifal clutch. Any thoughts from those of you who might have done this before? Any comments other than the ones from the purists would be appreciated.
ive done it to the bigger mtd and its not easy to line up the chain and having the right angle to

Another member is Delray. He likes the MTD/Columbia minibikes. He might have some insite to this. He also does custom fab work on his minibikes. Its a good chance he has done it already.

Josh

Josh

delray

hey columbia/mtd, there wound be alot of modiflying to make that minibike work for you. slant motor mount plat wound have to be cut off and then you wound have to line up a flat plat mount. you also may have to mount a jackshaft too,so you can get the chain to line up. also you wound have to replace the rear wheel (rim) for a aftermarket rim and spocket and brake. you wound have to fab a sissey bar and shocks like the original design or weld a rear frame,so you can mount a seat. this minibike design is one of the harder minibikes to modifly,because of its design and all the factory parts for this minibike only work on this frame design. how old is he and is this his first minibike? columbia and mtd minibikes can be little heavy and also be very dangerous to ride. my columbia with the original 4hp tecumseh and torque converter can pull front end off the ground all day. a rupp frame may not be any better ? problems too? if your son is a teenage maybe gilson frame can be a good starter.for example, flat mounted motor,factory mount jackshaft,any type of rims will work and brake set-up,long wheel base with rear swing arm. if your son is only 10 or so and maybe small person? maybe a small hard tail design frame would be good with a smaller motor? a 5hp motor can be alot of power for a kid.
here are some pictures of some original parts that went on this minibike and i have one picture of a blue mtd with a 5hp on a slat mount. i was just joking around one day and put it on the frame and took a picture of it with my cell phone. way to big:eek:ut:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/brian_c_53711/album/576460762334562128
:scooter: ....................................:thumbsup: