Converting a Doodlebug to a 6.5?

How come he had to cut up the frame? I was hoping for a simple swap.
I dont think he had to cut the frame, I think he had to clearence the Torq-a-verter backing plate. I had to do the same thing to make the torq-a-verter backing pate to clear the back oil fill on my Honda GX160. I would not worry about taking any material off this backing plate it built pretty solid. It is definately worth the time to make a torq-a-verter work it changes the whole bike for the better.

would this work instead of 6.5 with torque converter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-16-HP-SIDE-...7QQihZ017QQcategoryZ79670QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is this a good route
Technically any engine will work, but how far do you wont to go to make it fit into the frame. Once you start getting over the 8-10hp range the engines start getting wider and taller and then you have trouble fitting them in the frames never mind chain alignment problems. Id try to stick with the 6.5hp and get the TAV. BTW there is no such thing as too much power. I have a 16hp briggs with a TAV2 going on a Boonie Bike, Is that too much ??

that seems a lil pricy for a 5.5????
Like I said Check out ebay and search the internet for a better deal. I was giving you a starting point. If you have any local small engine repair places you maybe able to get you really cheap. I have a local guy that sells me used engine that are in great shape for 50 bucks. They usually need the carb clean and then are ready to bolt onto any minibike. Make nice with him and he will take care of you.

Pep Boys sells a 6.5 Honda-clone for $180. Either way, you're gonna have to do a little work to get a new motor to fit. The 6.5 you should only have to drill new holes to get the chain aligned, it'll be easier if you flip the clutch inboard. I'm hoping to upgrade my engine as soon as I get some more money. You could go with a jackshaft too. It'll drop your top speed but give you much more torque and is fairly cheap.

Pep Boys sells a 6.5 Honda-clone for $180. Either way, you're gonna have to do a little work to get a new motor to fit. The 6.5 you should only have to drill new holes to get the chain aligned, it'll be easier if you flip the clutch inboard. I'm hoping to upgrade my engine as soon as I get some more money. You could go with a jackshaft too. It'll drop your top speed but give you much more torque and is fairly cheap.
I have never done this on a doodlebug so that why I am asking, but do you really have to drill new mounting hole to put in a bigger motor? Is the 2.8hp lifan engine use a diffrent conf ?? Like I said I have not actually touch one of these bike, just trying to understand...

The holes will probably line up, but the chain won't be aligned properly so you'll need to drill new ones. It shouldn't be too difficult and would be well worth it, esp if you can afford a TAV with it.

Costco has a good Honda 6.5 HP clone (champion) for $114 or less in some area's. WHY pay shipping ? :thumbsup:

Last edited:
i took a small section from the rear fender mount and a little from the bottom of the tav mounting plate for clearance. the doodlebugs are a little finicky when it come to the fitment of larger motors. the mount holes do line up just fine, but as stated above, the sprocket alignment was a bit off. i did have to drill new mounting holes juts off the right of the stock holes. im installing the same motor in another dbug this weekend with a clutch setup instead of a torque converter. we'll see how things line up.