Converting a Doodlebug to a 6.5?

Subaru 7hp w/ a TAV 2?...hello, wheelie king...

This set-up shoehorned into a Doodlebug frame should be awesome, man...

Good engine choice, excellent drivetrain choice...

Last edited:
I wonder when Baja Motorsports will start marketing the Doodlebug as a 'roller'...it seems the little Lifan engine has few fans, but the rest is decent...

Hello all. I'm new here. You guys seem like a lot of fun.

Yesterday I picked up a Doodlebug from PepBoys. The manager is a friend of mine and gave it to me cheap because it was missing some parts. And it "wouldn't run." Apparently they canibalized it to fix some previously sold bugs.

It didn't have a chain, but I figured no big deal. Upon closer inspection, under the clutch cover I noticed... no clutch! A cheapie $10 clutch on order.

My initial plans for it were to take off the "non-running" 2.8 and replace it with a Lifan 6.5 I got from Harbor Freight for $75. But the darn 2.8 fired up on the first pull and idles like a dream, so I figured 10 bucks for a clutch and some mean-time fun would be ok.

Anyway, I have enjoyed reading this thread and looking to do the 6.5 swap myself as I am short enough, but a little heavy for this little guy. In the mean time I may get a smaller sprocket for the rear.

delray

hey contraption22, you will need a larger sprocket if you keep that little engine on. larger sprocket gear's it down. bike does not have enough power to push you good(heavy)and has to small of a rear sprocket. making it very hard on the clutch. you might be better off installing the 6.5 engine. it will have good power to push you and the bike around and you can leave the stock sprocket on.
:scooter:...............:thumbsup:

Hello all. I'm new here. You guys seem like a lot of fun.

Yesterday I picked up a Doodlebug from PepBoys. The manager is a friend of mine and gave it to me cheap because it was missing some parts. And it "wouldn't run." Apparently they canibalized it to fix some previously sold bugs.

It didn't have a chain, but I figured no big deal. Upon closer inspection, under the clutch cover I noticed... no clutch! A cheapie $10 clutch on order.

My initial plans for it were to take off the "non-running" 2.8 and replace it with a Lifan 6.5 I got from Harbor Freight for $75. But the darn 2.8 fired up on the first pull and idles like a dream, so I figured 10 bucks for a clutch and some mean-time fun would be ok.

Anyway, I have enjoyed reading this thread and looking to do the 6.5 swap myself as I am short enough, but a little heavy for this little guy. In the mean time I may get a smaller sprocket for the rear.
Hey Contraption22 Are from turbododge.com? Welcome aboard and good luck with your doodlebug.

Subaru 7hp w/ a TAV 2?...hello, wheelie king...

This set-up ^^^^ is AWESOME!!!! awesomely crazy-stupid torquey!!!!!!!!!

We have a 7 horse Subie on our doodlebug that we just installed a TAV2 on yesterday, and already my brother got thrown off the back. Even just slowly easing into the throttle it will try to toss us off, and we both weigh upwards of 350. Please, be carefull!!!!!

Thanks all. haha Yep I had a brain fart, forgot you have to increase the size of the driven sprocket to increase the gear ratio.

You are right tho.. best bet is to swap on the 6.5. This weekend with my free time I swapped on the 6.5. Just waiting on some parts from McMaster to complete the conversion, and make some bushings for the rear axle as they seem to be missing from mine. I also ordered some stainless pipe and bends to make a custom exhaust. The muffler on the 6.5 is kinda close to the rider's leg. Still want to keep it quiet tho.

I will post up some pictures of my project as it goes.

Yup, I am contraption22 from the Turbo Mopar community. I'm a moderator over on Turbo Mopar Forums

Awesome, I'm from the Turbododge.com part (Daytony) although I have not been there for awhile to check up on things. Its kind of nice to have a break from the cars for awhile and play with some toys lol.