Cool Inverter Generators

had these two beauties put on a pallet from china. the big one is a 3kW 120/250vac
electric start inverter and the smaller one is 2kW 120 vac pull start inverter. they
used to be known as the brand name 'earthquake'. that brand no longer imports them.

20170411_084617.jpg

MB165

Inverter generators are really neat, I like how they use the flywheel as the rotor, stepper motor speed controller, and stable frequency, a good compact design. might not be a bad idea to get some spare regulators for them...

the small inverter runs 600 watts continuously with short 800 watt surges.

they sell similar things here on OldMiniBikes. i'm just an importer.

So Phil....fill me in... :laugh: ...for you, what's the benefit of these guys over a regular old generator?

I know I can google it, I'd just like to hear the scoop from someone I know.

Thanks,

Robert

inverter generators have a gasoline engine turning a dc generator whose output
is smoothed or an ac generator whose output is rectified and smoothed to dc. an electronic
inverter circuit takes the dc and chops it up to form a psuedo-sin wave ac output, this output
is further filtered to produce a very good pure sin wave. the output load is monitored
by a controller. the controller varies the speed of the gasoline engine so that the
energy output of the generator matches that of the load instead of the motor running
at high speed all the time. the output frequency is control by electronics and not the
speed of the gas engine.

regular generators need to run at a constant rpm so you always get 60Hz out of them.
when you apply a load the engine immediately slows a bit, dropping the output frequency,
while waiting for the speed governor to catch up the rpm.

inverters are thought to be more fuel efficient than regular generators because their
standing losses (the losses incurred while NOT driving a load) are significantly less
because they are not running the motor at full speed all the time.

both have voltage recovery issues when applying or removing loads. the inverter can
store energy in a capacitor and use that stored energy to recover faster than a gasoline engine
can recover. they both have benefits and downfalls. under heavy continuous loads the
standard generator has less loss for example because it is turning engine work into energy
that goes straight to the load whereas the inverter takes rotational energy turns it into dc,
then into ac so it can have higher losses.

hows that?? :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Cool, thank you Phil....:thumbsup:

Sounds like I'm still okay with my regular generator, as I use it primarily for running the air conditioner in the camper van when camping without electric hookups. The air cycles on an off, but typically is running full blast when it's hot outside during the day.