Counterfeit NGK spark plugs - ''Buyer beware'' !!

I74

While looking on flea bay for NGK Iridium IX spark plugs for my car,, I found a bunch of vendors peddling ''supposed'' authentic ones, for between 14 & 28 bucks,, ''on a set of 4''.

The ''real deal'' plugs average around 10 bucks a piece from Auto parts stores ect...

In looking @ a few vendor advertisements of them on flea bay, I noticed that ''a lot'' of them had the P/N printed on the plugs,, but no NGK print.
They are listing them with NGK's full P/N descriptions,, & some vendors even had pics of them with authentic NGK boxes,, & also listing them as NGK's,, trying to pass them off as legit ! :rolleyes:

Reading down on the descriptions for what brand they are,, most of them just had the vendors name next to that, or ''un branded''.

I then started reading feed back on transactions with some of these '' snake'' vendors,, & people are ''really pissed'' about this !!

Can't believe with all these vendors doing this,, that flea bay hasn't stepped in, & or shut them down.

These plugs are definitely ''not'' made in Japan, & are junk.

I believe there is other ''supposed'' NGK ones also, besides the Iridium's,, that vendors are trying to peddle also.

Best bet, is to sweet talk your local auto parts Guy ect. , for a good deal on a set ect.,, or go right thru NGK,,, or a known ''trusted'' on line vendor.

I

Last edited:

mustangfrank

While looking on flea bay for NGK Iridium IX spark plugs for my car,, I found a bunch of vendors peddling ''supposed'' authentic ones, for between 14 & 28 bucks,, ''on a set of 4''.

The ''real deal'' plugs average around 10 bucks a piece from Auto parts stores ect...

In looking @ a few vendor advertisements of them on flea bay, I noticed that ''a lot'' of them had the P/N printed on the plugs,, but no NGK print.
They are listing them with NGK's full P/N descriptions,, & some vendors even had pics of them with authentic NGK boxes,, & also listing them as NGK's,, trying to pass them off as legit ! :rolleyes:

Reading down on the descriptions for what brand they are,, most of them just had the vendors name next to that, or ''un branded''.

I then starting reading feed back on transactions with some of these '' snake'' vendors,, & people are ''really pissed'' about this.

Can't believe with all these vendors doing this,, that flea bay hasn't stepped in, & or shut them down.

These plugs are definitely not made in Japan, & are junk.

I believe there is other ''supposed'' NGK ones also, besides the Iridium's,, that vendors are trying to peddle also.

Best bet, is to sweet talk your local auto parts Guy ect. , for a good deal on a set ect.,, or go right thru NGK,,, or a known ''trusted'' on line vendor.

I
Scammers suck, getting to where you have to be triple check every detail on OE part listings before clicking. I use NGKs on my Yamaha crotch rocket and another cycle...Rock Auto, under three bucks for regulars, 5 and change for Iridiums, they charge shipping but I usually can get "free shipping" if I order them with some other parts.

I74

Scammers suck, getting to where you have to be triple check every detail on OE part listings before clicking. I use NGKs on my Yamaha crotch rocket and another cycle...Rock Auto, under three bucks for regulars, 5 and change for Iridiums, they charge shipping but I usually can get "free shipping" if I order them with some other parts.
Damn strait you gott'a check & recheck with these ''Douche bags'' ! :mad:
I almost pulled the trigger on a set of the 15 buck ones,, but something told me to read into it more first...
Frigg'n glad I did ! :rolleyes:

5 & change for ''legit'' NGK Iridium's, is a ''great'' deal !
These Iridium's for my 2.4 Dart,, actually go for ''a lot'' of different applications ,, ''including some Yamaha's''.
NGK - P/N,, - 4469.

Added,,
I use their regular copper plugs for ''all'' small engine applications,, & usually can get them locally for under 3 bucks.

In old Hot rods & Harley's,, I use their copper ''V'' powers.

Last edited:

mustangfrank

This has been a problem with Motorcraft parts as well
Just great...I noticed a couple Motorcraft parts for 90s vehicles I've received in the last few years have been made in China. Soon as one factory gets the drawings legitimately some other factory "mysteriously" starts churning out cheap copies.

I74

Here is a good pic of one of the photos that the ''snake'' vendor shows on their listing,, showing the counterfeit China plugs with actual legit NGK boxes.:mad:
Am waiting on a call with a rep. from flea bay,, to give them heads up on this,, plus other counterfeit plugs, like ''supposed'' Denso's ect.
s-l286.jpg

I74

Just got done talking to the flea bay rep.
She really appreciated me spending the time & pointing out the counterfeit activity.
flea bay has stepped in & taken care of me in the past on a few purchases,, so I thought it was the right thing to do,, in making them aware of what's going on here.
I also told her that our conversation really needs sent to the top,, & that they are loosing biz. because of B/S like this.

Last edited:

I74

Here's some more interesting stuff....
Just got a set of 4 of the genuine article Iridium's from a long time parts Buddy @ one of our local auto parts stores, & he hooked me up cheaper out the door,, than going thru NGK. :)

First pic., I pulled off one of ''counterfeit sites'' on flea bay.
Notice that the tip is not refined, & that the base of the tip looks like a glob of $hit around it.
Also the finish is pretty bad.

Next 2 pics,, is of one of the legit ones I just picked up.
My camera sucks,, but you should still be able to see the difference,, with the tip of the genuine one being ''a lot'' more precise.
The genuine article also has Japan ''nicely'' impregnated in the round base,, plus a combination of 4 letters & numbers stamped into one of the hex's .
Finish on the real deal is night & day better also.
A blind man running for his life could even see the difference... :p LMFAO !!

Can't wait to try them out. ;)

I
s-l1600.jpg 100_6679.JPG 100_6683.JPG

Last edited: