Craftsman Mystery Engine

Hey Folks, I just picked up an old Craftsman engine (grey one on the left). Pretty sure it’s an H35 (side-popper), but I can’t find any Tecumseh crossover for this model (143-584132). Stamping makes me think it’s from either ‘69 (nice), or '81.

20190404_113821.jpg
20190404_114049.jpg
I am completely new to mini-bikes, and small engines in general although I do know my way around a small block Chevy. My goal for right now is just to get it running. I bought a new carb off of eBay, and aside from a new plug, I really don’t want to invest any more money than I have to. If I can get it running, then I’ll pick up the governor link ($7?!), mini-bike specific throttle linkage, air cleaner, etc.

My question for right now is, do I absolutely need the governor link to test the engine? Can I open the throttle manually, or does the governor lever have to move in relation to the throttle?

Also, aside from new oil and changing the plug, what do you all recommend checking/doing before firing up an engine with unknown origins?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Tony C

It's an H35-45235G Note: I have heard twice recently that "it has to be an H35 because it's a side popper." It doesn't. Out of four side poppers I am currently using for various projects, one is an H35, two are H30's that look (and measure) identically, and one is an H25.

I am going to say 1978, but I screw up dates all the time, and wait around for markus to show up because I don't want to look stupid on a mini bike forum.

If you bought a cheap Chinese carburetor for about ten bucks, the low speed setting is going to be from barely cracked open to a half of a turn in general, and bottom high speed will be out about a turn. This is a starting place to get it running.

As far as controlling without a governor, I can't see what your throttle looks like, but I start and run them without governors all the time. Just make sure you have a reliable way to shut the engine down, should it start winding up too high. (Think about starting your LT-1 with no return spring on your Quick Fuel 680.

Remember, the "throttle" is the plate on top of your carburetor. Some folks seem to get surprised when what remains of the gov linkage forces the throttle WOT, while they assumed they had it down at idle.

Here's an H30 I am using in my next project. I'd have rather had yours, with that shroud. :)

Attachments

Thanks, Dave! Where did that exhaust come from? I'm realizing there are not a lot of options for the side poppers.

How were you able to find the Tec model #? I couldn't find squat...

Thanks, Dave! Where did that exhaust come from? I'm realizing there are not a lot of options for the side poppers.

How were you able to find the Tec model #? I couldn't find squat...
There were some guys popping various exhaust parts for these. I got this one from @markus when he had it on ebay. The carb is a cheapo chinese PZ20 (Keihn wanna-be) the intake is a modified H35, velocity stack is Honda 450 with screen. Lots of porting done, no governor.

I will be doing another H35 side popper after this current project is done where I will swap the cam out and run the intake on the exhaust side, exhaust on the intake side. Some have started those projects, but I see no reason why I couldn't do that in a high performance package.

Yes, some of us are GEEKS on here for Tecumseh. You can also find where a few of us have built hot rod HS50 and HS40 engines, that run very well.

I found your number from one of many Sears cross over sites via Google. Google makes us all more smarter! :)

I swear I checked Google first! Checked again and was able to find one this time, but came away with 45048G. Super weird.

Thanks again, man. I'm really looking forward to getting this thing running and onto my Thunderbird.

cfh

Using the 1983 Tecumseh catalog, here's the breakdown on side poppers....
http://www.pinrepair.com/minibikes/tecumseh1983_enginespecs.pdf

H30 tiller application - side pop
H35 industrial app - side pop
H35 snow app - side pop
H35 tiller app - 5 different models, 3 of which are side poppers
H35 mini bike app - rear exhaust

So basically most H30 and H35 (3hp and 3.5hp) Tecumseh motors are side poppers. The minibike application ones are never side poppers. But probably any old snowblower H30 or H35 Tecumseh motor will (probably) be a side popper.

markus

I swear I checked Google first! Checked again and was able to find one this time, but came away with 45048G. Super weird.

Thanks again, man. I'm really looking forward to getting this thing running and onto my Thunderbird.
That was the number I saw online as well, but looking in my old Tecumseh master parts manual it shows the number that Dave noted in his post above. In the actual book that 048g shows as right below that one so either someone screwed up a copy/paste job online, or the old book is a misprint (My sheet with those engines shows as last update of 1972)

Your engine (if the block is original) will be steel sleeved, online it shows as having a mechanical compression release on the cam over the old hole in the valve seat-if you ever tear it down I would be interested to know if it really does, it would be better if it does, and also verify which engine number it really crosses with as that is something that is different between the Tecumseh model numbers that we are seeing in this thread.

It BTW is a 1968 made engine, the rear exhaust block you have sitting to the right of it appears to be about the same era as well (late 60's).

Looking at information from 1983 will just make things more confusing for you since they made changes that wont cross with your engine by that time.

Hey Guys,

I was able to get this thing running, but my build has hit a snag.

There is not a lot of coverage on the actual installation of the throttle control assembly (p/n 730136A), so I figured it would be a straightforward job. However when I started to attempt the install, I found one hole where I was expecting two.

The engine was missing a few bits when I got it, but it looks like the throttle may have been controlled from above? There’s a wafer-like board underneath the fuel tank with the RUN/STOP controls, and nothing mounted near the shroud where I expected to drill out a couple rivets.

20190428_192728.jpg

Do ALL H35s have two holes? Is the hole pictured the bottom hole? If I remove the fuel tank and/or carb, will the other hole reveal itself? Any tips/tricks for the install?

Thanks in advance,

Tony C