Crimping fork tubes

Does anybody out there know of some metal shop or fabricator who has the necessary equipment (dies) to crimp the ends of 7/8" fork tubes in a similar fashion to the early Lil Indian or Ruttman bikes?

Thank you

Thank you all for the responses. Manchester, yes that's very close to what I'd be looking for. Did you do that crimp on a vise or a press? If so, can you tell me what size tubing and wall thickness? Looks like I'd probably have to have those plates machined from some fairly hard steel as I'm considering using chrome moly 7/8" O.D. tubing with a wall thickness of .095".

Thank you.

P.S. bikebuddy; I tried to get a photo on but this new computer doesn't seem to want to cooperate. Guess I'll have to call my Geek Squad guy!

Last edited:
The tubing is 7/8 .083 wall. I had to heat the forks, cherry red and used the vise. I made those plates. Was kinda simple once some members gave me some guidance. I just used some old steel I had laying around, drilled a 7/8 hole and then cut in half:thumbsup:

Manchester thanks for the input. Great idea. I have access to a fairly heavy press which would no doubt exert a bit more pressure but with that .095 tubing I'll probably have to use some heat as well.

Thanks again.

The style manchester describes works very well. I did use a shop press since my little vise would probably fall apart if I tried to apply all that force. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
One I saw was much heavier made, 2 x 1-1/2" blocks clamped together.

Then drilled down the center about 3". The whole thing was like 4" X 6"

Put in a 20ton press to stamp..

If it were harden steel it would have been perfect.

The style manchester describes works very well. I did use a shop press since my little vise would probably fall apart if I tried to apply all that force. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
My vise did break when I tried it. :laugh::laugh: Had to go to my friends shop and use a giant vise. Glad I had another vise from my dad:thumbsup: