ct100u/cc100x/doodlebug

Xeno

so im new to mini bikes and am looking to buying one. I have been looking at the ct100u and the cc100x. But they have no front suspension.(i dont really care for suspension in the rear). and i found this https://www.gopowersports.com/minibike-suspension-kit-complete-front-fork-assembly-universal/ i watched a video and the guy said that coleman is has purchased the patent for the doodlebug. if you look in the description it says,
" Direct Bolt On Applications
  • All Doodlebugs / Small Bajas (originally equipped with a 4hp or smaller engine)
This hydraulic front end can be modified to fit virtually any old school mini bike with similar length forks. Will not fit Coleman bikes."
will this fit the ct100u or the cc100x?

also which has more parts/mods available?
and which would y'all recommend out of the 2?

Last edited:
Hello and welcome! The two models would pretty much use the same parts, the main difference is the frame and fork. I prefer the CT100U simply because it looks much better than the CC100X, IMO. That's a subjective thing, though. Other than a different engine, the CC100X appears to be the same bike as the 2nd gen Baja Doodle Bug. The CT100U is somewhat similar to the 1st gen DB, but not the same. The suspension fork will work on the small Colemans (but not the large ones). You would need risers and a handlebar to use with the fork, add sales tax and shipping, it isn't a cheap mod.

Check out this thread.
https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/...suspension-forks-now-available-for-80.164591/

GPS/MMP has had some good roller deals but they are out of stock, now. COVID-19 has disrupted the supply chain of many imported products.
https://megamoto.co/mini-bike-frames/

Here is the suspension fork on the MMP site (same company, GPS bought Mega Moto's parts inventory and rights to the MM brand name when MM went out of business).
https://megamoto.co/products/mini-bike-suspension-kit.html

Walmart.com has neither model in stock. Amazon has the red CT100U in stock (but not the black), I expect it will be sold out, soon. Currently, it's priced a bit high at $449 w/ free Prime delivery. $299 - $349 is a good price on one of these.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TBPZQMN/

Depending on what you want, you may be better off buying a larger bike that has a larger engine and suspension fork. If you buy a small Coleman at $449 and add the suspension fork, you'll have as much in it as what a larger bike with a larger engine and suspension fork would cost. Then, if you decide you want more power and do an engine swap, you'll have even more in it.

DaddyJohn

Having versions of each of those, I would prefer the CT100U. Biggest reason is the handlebars...
The CC100X bars come straight back towards you and you feel crowded riding it.
A lot of people modify them by bending the bars forward, which I've done.

Past that, it's more a matter of cosmetic preference.
I also like the CT100U a bit better in this respect because it looks more vintage than the CC100X.

will the ct100u fit me (5’5”-5’7”)
Yes. I'm 6'4" 265 lbs and do just fine on my Doodlebugs. They're basically the same as the CT100U.

edit: Mine do have engine swaps. The stock engine is a boat anchor and barely pulls me. Any kind of incline and forget about it.

will the ct100u fit me (5’5”-5’7”)
I would say yes but understand that it is a small bike and at your (listed) age you're not done growing. According to Coleman, the wheelbase (axle center to axle center) is 34" and overall length is 48". They don't list seat height (they should) but it's low. Check one out in person if you can.

CT100U Size.png

I suggest you contact member @Nathannewbie who is around your age and has had a small bike (MM-B80) and a large one (MM-B212 Pro) for advice.

I knew you had done it with the 6" wheel but wasn't aware you had switched to the 10". I was trying to not overcomplicate things for him.
Recently swapped it out. To make it even more fun I'm running a 5/8" axle that doesn't fit that front end. Nothing a little drilling didn't take care of as there's plenty of meat on that fork to do that. Didn't feel like finding 12mm ID bearings that worked with that wheel and decided to have a go at drilling the forks instead. Already went with custom bearings to make the DB rear wheel fit with the stock CT200U rear axle, which wasn't cheap.

I guess mine really isn't a good example. There's very little original CT200U left on it.

Yes. I'm 6'4" 265 lbs and do just fine on my Doodlebugs. They're basically the same as the CT100U
It seems like everybody says that but there is a significant difference, IMO. I have a couple of CT100Us but don't have a DB to compare (they're $500+ on the rare occasion one turns up around here, nearly a minibike-free area; I had two new CT100Us delivered to my door for little more than the cost of one used DB). According to info I've seen, the 1st gen DB has a 36" wheelbase while the CT100U has a 34" wheelbase. With the DB having an inboard axle and the CT100U having an outboard axle, I'm thinking the DB's frame must be around 5-6" longer than the CT's, excluding the CT's protruding axle mounts, that's a good bit of difference. I think the early DB must be about halfway between the CT100U and CT200U in frame size. I only have one of the three so I can only guesstimate...

Last edited:
It seems like everybody says that but there is a significant difference, IMO. I have a couple of CT100Us but don't have a DB to compare (they're $500+ on the rare occasion one turns up around here, nearly a minibike-free area; I had two new CT100Us delivered to my door for little more than the cost of one used DB). According to info I've seen, the 1st gen DB has a 36" wheelbase while the CT100U has a 34" wheelbase. With the DB having an inboard axle and the CT100U having an outboard axle, I'm thinking the DB's frame must be around 5-6" longer than the CT's, excluding the CT's protruding axle mounts, that's a good bit of difference. I think the early DB must be about halfway between the CT100U and CT200U in frame size. I only have one of the three so I can only guesstimate...
I never noticed that the CT100U had the axle outside of the frame.

There are a few DBs in my garage too. I'll try to get some measurements in a few hours once my housemate's kid finishes her online dance class. He set up a dance floor for her in there for her practice.

The DB frame is only a bit smaller than the CT200U. The big difference between the two of them is how much wider the CT200U frame is at the rear. I want to say the other dimensions were within an inch or two. It's been awhile since I measured.

Where'd you pick up the new CT100U's for so cheap? They're $450 on the Coleman site and Amazon.

edit: You can see some of the size difference between the CT200U and CT100U in the pic of my CT200U based off the CT100U seat it has on it. It did require welding mounts and is not a straight bolt on.

Where'd you pick up the new CT100U's for so cheap? They're $450 on the Coleman site and Amazon
Got the first one from Walmart for $299 w/free shipping when they were plentiful (2017), got the second one from Amazon for $365 w/ Prime when they were scarce (2019). I consider it a great value in that price range. I chose the little CT just because I thought it was cool and could easily be made cooler, I like the simple old school minibike look and vintage minis are pretty much nonexistent around here.

Did some quick/rough measurements on the old style Doodlebug and CT200U.

Numbers will be DB and then CT200U.

Wheelbase: 36" - 39" (CT200U has front suspension) Measured axle to axle.
Rear width: 7" - 8.5"-9"
Frame height: 15" - 15.5"
Top tube, fork stem to rear 28.5" - 29"

You can see the DB and CT200U are pretty close when it comes to the actual frame. Like I said, the CT is considerably wider at the rear to fit the larger tire.

Got the first one from Walmart for $299 w/free shipping when they were plentiful (2017), got the second one from Amazon for $365 w/ Prime when they were scarce (2019). I consider it a great value in that price range. I chose the little CT just because I thought it was cool and could easily be made cooler, I like the simple old school minibike look and vintage minis are pretty much nonexistent around here.
Oh, I read it as you got both for under $500 shipped. Not under that amount each.

If I could get them for under $250 shipped each I'd buy a bunch.