CT200U drum brake fix?

toomanytoys

My brakes have never been great. Now they are just plain terrible. They slow ya but won’t lock the wheel

I’ve played with adjusting them. To get them to lock the wheel or really feel like they are slowing you they are dragging so bad.

pads look like they have great deal of meat left (they are super shiny probably glazed bad) drum looks fine too.

I ordered some of the EBC 304 brake shoes but I’m not convinced this will help but I am going to try.

anyone had any luck?

toomanytoys

The leading shoe wears quicker than the trailing shoe, typical of cheap drum brakes. Remove the trailing shoe and try it with only the leading shoe.
I never considered that! I’ll try it another day. I’ve torn it apart more times than I can count.

I put a 60 tooth rear, yellow spring, cleaned and lubed the tav, and new chain. Haven’t gotten to enjoy that because I’ve been messing with the brakes

SAS289

My brakes have never been great. Now they are just plain terrible. They slow ya but won’t lock the wheel

I’ve played with adjusting them. To get them to lock the wheel or really feel like they are slowing you they are dragging so bad.

pads look like they have great deal of meat left (they are super shiny probably glazed bad) drum looks fine too.

I ordered some of the EBC 304 brake shoes but I’m not convinced this will help but I am going to try.

anyone had any luck?
A lot of guys swear by those EBC brake shoes. I haven't needed shoes yet but will get those when the time comes. The spring arrangement is different but works.

Have you tried roughing them up with 2 or 400 grit sandpaper to remove the glaze?

toomanytoys

A lot of guys swear by those EBC brake shoes. I haven't needed shoes yet but will get those when the time comes. The spring arrangement is different but works.

Have you tried roughing them up with 2 or 400 grit sandpaper to remove the glaze?
I watched a video looks like the springs X instead of straight across.

I haven’t yet. I threw it back together and shoved it inside since it was starting to rain yet again and will for the next 5 freaking days.

My pads come in Wednesday and I’ll tear it apart clean the drum and put the new shoes on.

I wonder if they feel so poor now because I put the 60th on and it really accelerates much faster and I’m actually going faster by my usual braking spot in the yard

SAS289

I had mine apart after a March mud ride. The wear pattern on the shoes is pathetic. I don't ride too hard or fast so I'm not that concerned.

I thought you already had a 60 on your 200U? You able to keep the front end down ok? Did you notice how much sweeter it is on full throttle with the 60 tooth and yellow spring? The belt shift should come later and under higher RPM. Much nicer than the early belt shift.

I'm a bit worried that I may have to change gearing when I'm done with my just for fun build on a 224. Even though I'm doing a mild build It will have more low end than the 196 and I'm worried it may be too much for my gearing. I'm too old to be wheelying all over the place. haha. May have to put a 10 tooth on it.

The only way to get the most out of these brakes is modify them to work like self-energizing brakes like cars and trucks use. That would require redesign of the backing plate. The easy fix (for me) has been to put a quality hydraulic disc brake on in place of the drum brake and know that I can lock them up if I need to.:eek:

toomanytoys

I had mine apart after a March mud ride. The wear pattern on the shoes is pathetic. I don't ride too hard or fast so I'm not that concerned.

I thought you already had a 60 on your 200U? You able to keep the front end down ok? Did you notice how much sweeter it is on full throttle with the 60 tooth and yellow spring? The belt shift should come later and under higher RPM. Much nicer than the early belt shift.

I'm a bit worried that I may have to change gearing when I'm done with my just for fun build on a 224. Even though I'm doing a mild build It will have more low end than the 196 and I'm worried it may be too much for my gearing. I'm too old to be wheelying all over the place. haha. May have to put a 10 tooth on it.
i had 10/50 then 10/60 and I went back to the 10/50 for a bit. I actually like the 10/50 better but my 50 tooth sprocket is worn pretty good.

front end stays down unless I want it to come up

toomanytoys

EBC pads made a 100% improvement. Sanded the drum and put the new pads on. Barely adjusted them and it locks the rear wheel up with 2 fingers squeezing.

Highly recommend