CT200u-ex hemi or stock ?

Hello all,
Im wondering if any one has some advice.

I Have a few options here but I would like to ditch the jack shaft and install a cvt on it, with this I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations on the rear sprocket for a good gear ratio pared with the cvt. maybe a 60 tooth?

the next dilemma i have is weather to deep the current 196 motor or use the Hemi Predator that I have sitting in my shop?
my only reasoning for not using it this far is because i want to keep the light and don't know if the predator can be converted to give power to the light.

thirdly if I keep the light does anyone know if one of the led light conversions would work with the this style of powering system.
basically I want to end up with a cvt/ torque converter bike with a gearing that would give it a decent top end but I'm more concerned with having good torque to cruise through the woods. Its not getting drag raced lol. so help me choose which engine to use and we shall go from there.

let me know your thoughts

I doubt you will like my suggestion, which would be to sell the Coleman and buy a TrailMaster MB200-2 ($750 with free shipping) which has a CVT, headlight and full suspension, or buy a Monster Moto MM-B212 ($850; not released, yet, but should be available soon) which has a CVT, headlight, front suspension and F/R hydraulic disc brakes.

The 196 probably has a 5/8" shaft, which would require additional work to fit a CVT.
https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/mini-bike-discussion/141989-tc-coleman-ct100-2.html

The 212 would require additional work to power the headlight; I'll let someone with more knowledge on the subject advise you on that.

TrailMaster MB200-2 Mini Dirt Bike

https://www.monstermoto.com/new-products

I really like that bike has all the things I want are pretty much their. It may be a viable options but I was looking forward to some fabricating. I got the Coleman pretty cheap at $275 it's hardly been ridden. I know go power sports does sell a 5/8 cvt. It would take a little work to get it to fit. I think the first thing I'll try is too swap the generators and fly wheels and take all the measurements to see if it can work. If that can swap on the predator then I'll head that directions. I know it's more work and I'll probably spend that $750 in the long run, but I'd like more of a project.

I had anyone used a rectifier to convert to D.C. Power for a led?

SAS289

Good torque through the woods? You could get the 60 tooth and a longer chain and be done.

Do it in steps. Add the 60 tooth. You may like it and not want/need other changes.

Still need better low end in the woods? Then install a CVT. Don't want to use an adaptor or swap out the crankshaft? Then swap out to the Predator.

If you want big power and want to build your Predator you could enjoy riding until the engine is built, then swap in the Predator and CVT.

If it were me I would keep the original engine and sell the Predator. There is nothing wrong with the Hisun engine and it can be upgraded with performance parts like any other clone out there.

Well you could get led lights and use a small motorcycle battery,keep it charged w a trickle maintain type charger and do the pred and tc route..as far as i know leds on engine powered coil makes them flicker some..as far as a sprocket i would see how it is w just tc and pred swap..anyone else know!?

Last edited:
Yeah ill keep you guys posted it should be a fun little project. I love tinkering. a little back ground Im a mercedes tech who is going to nursing school, these little projects help my sanity, and I miss getting my hands dirty... which is frowned upon in the hospital just fyi. IM gonna pull the motor this weekend do some measure and prep work and go from there. Ill take some pictures for anyone whom is curious. I would love if the generator swaps to the predator I have a feeling it might not work but.

I would ditch the charging system as this is limiting what you can do to your bike. I would just install a battery so you have more freedom in your build.

There is no 16mm torque converter yet. They are working on it but it won't be out for a while, and who knows how much it'll cost. Best bet use the Predator and install a TAV2 clone from ebay for $65.

I switched to a 9t with the TC on my CT200U and it climbs like a billy goat. I might go 60t rear, 11t front just to have more teeth for the chain to bite into up front.

Another option for light is to get a good 18650 cell rechargeable flashlight or two and stick them on the front rack/ handle bars.. You can carry as many spare batteries as needed, the weigh nothing and take up very little space.

I have a couple 18650 flashlights on my rack and it is plenty of light.
Riding vid-> https://youtu.be/Y13AiZsVufI?t=2m53s

I really like that bike has all the things I want are pretty much their. It may be a viable options but I was looking forward to some fabricating. I got the Coleman pretty cheap at $275 it's hardly been ridden. I know go power sports does sell a 5/8 cvt. It would take a little work to get it to fit. I think the first thing I'll try is too swap the generators and fly wheels and take all the measurements to see if it can work. If that can swap on the predator then I'll head that directions. I know it's more work and I'll probably spend that $750 in the long run, but I'd like more of a project.

I had anyone used a rectifier to convert to D.C. Power for a led?

Last edited:
Yes you are right i confirmed that there is not a 5/8 shaft cvt. I have the fly wheel off the semi I just need to get the stock engine of the coleman. I'm hoping the generator and flywheel will swap. anyone tried this? if the taper is not the same any chance I can swap the whole crank assembly?

As [MENTION=53722]FOMOGO[/MENTION] mentioned, the hemi and clone flywheels are not the same taper. Unfortunately the cranks are also not an easy swap (longer stroke). I believe you will need a Kohler flywheel to work on the hemi crank.

Last edited:
Dag Nammit, y'all can say I told you so. Okay well I I'm just gonna leave the coleman be for now. I think ill order a tav 30 and install the predator wit the cvt later. that way I can mod the predator out of the bike. that also allows me to upgrade the engine to allow for RPMs. Ill keep the coleman set up for when my wife and I have a few kids.

OldMiniBikes, Gopowersports, ARC? who is y'all favorite place to get performance parts for the Hemi predators?

also here is the plan for lighting down the road Im just going to tickle charge a battery that ill attach somewhere on the frame and ill switch out the head light for 5.75 inch motorcycle led to use less juice. figured a 12volt 50 amp should give me some good ride time on a 45watt led headlight.

It's a journey.. My ct200u been through 2 seat,gearing and tire changes in one year..:laugh: now i like it for my ride area..tweek here tweek there

wells here is a little update, I had a nice long talk with the folks over at ARC racing. Freaking awesome customer service and its always fun to talk to a fellow gear head. so here is the game plan. Because i have seen the destruction of a flywheel I will building a strong base to the semi with a filet flywheel and rod.
ch270-billet-flywheel
standard length billet rod
after talking with Jody at ARC He is recommending the CL-2 cam any chance y'all have had experience using this cam?

this morning I will be cleaning up the head and doing a very minor port job nothing crazy mainly just getting rid of the ugly casting warts. other than that lapping the stock valve if they have any leak down.

He recommended that I measure it out and see how far in the bore the cylinder sits. He said usually 20 over is safe. I wonder how much I'd. I'd be loosing form the? I did state I want reliability for this is not going into any form of racing. Just mini bike with some extra juice. I'll have to reassemble the stock crank and piston to mic it out

Just small update I have the motor together and I'm just waiting on the adapter for the mikuni vm22 carb to come in to get it all broke in. I did go with the standard length rod from arc. I found that at the highest region of the while measuring how far the piston is in the hole was just a hair over .022 over. And because .030 clearance is need between the piston and the head. I ordered a .010 head gasket which should put me into the safe zone. Im gonna install it with the standard jack shaft set up then see if I want to move forward and install a torque converter after some time on the bike.