Ct200u EX

Hey everyone!

Just found your community while looking for a help forum and this is my first post

I bought a brand new ct200u ex a couple weeks ago. Immediately had issues with the stock jack shaft and clutch assembly.

So instead of buying replacement parts for that, I opted to get the torque converter instead.

I got everything installed tonight, but I've got a couple issues.

#1 the chain looks loose. It has a lot of up and down play in it. But when I put it on it was TIGHT. It was hard to get the master link into both sides of the chain, and I actually had to roll the bike backwards to get it to pop into place on the sprocket. So I'm not sure why it looks so damn loose

#2 after installing the TC I Seem to have lost power or speed. It seems to be 3-5 mph slower than it was with the OEM clutch. I adjusted the throttle cable per one of the YouTube videos I watched, so I'm kinda at a loss.

Idk if it matters but I did have to buy the shaft reducing adapter to make this work with my bike.

Any ideas?

1. Did you use the two chain adjusters at the rear axle? After you install a new chain or jack-shaft the chain will need to be adjusted after a short ride. This is normal. 1/2 - 3/4 inch up/down play is normal.
2. Is the belt installed with the letters/numbers towards the engine? One side of the belt is angled,the other is flat. Flat towards the engine.
A TAV is much slower off the start than a chain drive. As the engine speeds up and the sheave contracts, the bike will go faster. You should be able to do slightly over 25 MPH with no problem.
3. Make sure the throttle stop screw is backed out fully. If it is welded in place, cut it off flush with the bracket. This will give you more RPM.
4. Make sure the governor is adjusted properly or it will engage too soon slowing the bike down. Surging fast to slow is a sign of this happening.
5. The twist throttle grip has a cam face cast into the nylon plastic. This will limit how far the throttle will open the throttle.
Take off the air cleaner ( two nuts and one or two hoses) turn the grip fully towards yourself. Look at the carb black plastic butterfly valve lever, it should touch the aluminum housing when fully open. If not open up the grip and remove the nylon cam surface/stop until you can open the valve fully at the carb.
6. CHI-COM spark plugs suck. Get rid of it and buy a real NGK or other brand name spark plug. It really makes a difference.

Man thats a ton of awesome information!! Thanks so much!!

I did adjust the tensioners at the back and that stopped the chain popping off ‍♂️ I've got the tire all the way to the back of the slots on both sides.

Belt is installed with the writing towards the engine, but it looks flat on both sides to me. Wonder what that could mean

The throttle stop screw is welded, but I was told that removing that screw can cause the engine to blow prematurely. Is that false? Also, im a plumber and I have a mapp gas torch. I wonder if mapp gas gets hot enough to liquify the solder or whatever they used there

I believe I see the butterfly valve you're talking about. It looks like it's got very little movement when I engage the throttle. Very concerned that I'll damage something by messing with it. I'm an (self proclaimed ) awesome plumber. Small engine mechanic, not so much

I will get the spark plug tomorrow for sure!!

Nothing on this bike was adjusted prior to the TAV install. And not for nothing but it ran really well before the stock clutch bearings farted out

SAS289

How did you raise the engine for the install of the TAV? If you moved the engine into a different position it would effect chain tension.

When installing a TAV you need to make sure things get aligned properly. Once bolted to the engine make sure the engine and TAV are properly aligned with the back sprocket. Either eyeball it or use straight edges. It's not easy to get what you think is perfect alignment. Same thing with the TAV pullies.

For the Coleman 200's you should expect in between 34-38 mph top speed with the stock gearing. Some get higher than that, even with near stock engines.