ct70 with title

Sweet deal. My neighbor had a 70 all original with 600 some miles on it sitting in his garage for 20 or 30 years he was going to give it to me for free when he moves for helping him clear out his stuff but he just got offered 1K for it. that was an offer he couldnt refuse and i dont blame him. It was worth more for sure but I dont mind Im just glad its going to a good home and not going to sit unused anymore. He already gave me his 70 yamaha ds6 so I cant complain

Looks like it disappeared quickly. I didn't get to see the price but sounds like it was a major steal.

I've still got my '74 I got as a teenager in 1980. Glad my dad didn't throw it out or give it away. I snagged it from his garage a few years ago. Needs a new exhaust, valve job, carb rebuild and has a few cosmetic issues, but I still have all the original parts. If only he hadn't lost the title. :doah:

trail70-1c.jpg

capguncowboy

Looks like it disappeared quickly. I didn't get to see the price but sounds like it was a major steal.

I've still got my '74 I got as a teenager in 1980. Glad my dad didn't throw it out or give it away. I snagged it from his garage a few years ago. Needs a new exhaust, valve job, carb rebuild and has a few cosmetic issues, but I still have all the original parts. If only he hadn't lost the title. :doah:

View attachment 79045
I think it was $600

That's a nice little CT70 ya' got there. Is there any chance you could get a reissued title?

$600? OMG, I would have strapped on a diaper and driven 3 states away nonstop for that. It looked to be in fantastic condition. My condolences on being 2nd in line. That sucks.

I'm hoping to find the title in my dad's house somewhere. If not, that might mean that the teenager he bought it from didn't have it. The kid was a bit of a neighborhood low-life and it wouldn't surprise me if it had been stolen. I've always been afraid to apply for a title for that reason. It was purchased 35 years ago and if there was a hand written bill of sale, it's long gone. Is there any statute of limitations? I always envisioned the DMV telling me it was stolen, then watching as some distant relative of the original owner shows up at my house and hauls it away, while I lie in the street crying like John Boehner chopping onions.

capguncowboy

$600? OMG, I would have strapped on a diaper and driven 3 states away nonstop for that. It looked to be in fantastic condition. My condolences on being 2nd in line. That sucks.

I'm hoping to find the title in my dad's house somewhere. If not, that might mean that the teenager he bought it from didn't have it. The kid was a bit of a neighborhood low-life and it wouldn't surprise me if it had been stolen. I've always been afraid to apply for a title for that reason. It was purchased 35 years ago and if there was a hand written bill of sale, it's long gone. Is there any statute of limitations? I always envisioned the DMV telling me it was stolen, then watching as some distant relative of the original owner shows up at my house and hauls it away, while I lie in the street crying like John Boehner chopping onions.
There is no statute of limitations (in most states) for vehicles reported as stolen. In most cases, the authorities will seize the vehicle and turn it over to the insurance company (or owner) that ate the loss. In most cases, on something that old and for what small amount it would have been filed under, the insurance companies will turn it back over to the possessor (in this case, you). However, if a claim was never filed on insurance, the person that filed the claim as stolen will have the right to take possession of the bike.

I would say your best bet is to let it go and hope the title is in your dad's house. If it's not, it's probably not worth the risk.

If you have a cop friend, they could probably check the stolen vehicle database for you and let you know if you're in the clear or not.

catfishman

You should be able to go in to your local police station, tell them you are thinking of buying this bike, have them run the vin#. also, I have read you can get plates thru vermont, then transfer over, the plates are good for a year.