Cutting throttle cable

Looks like I'm going to have to shorten a throttle cable I'm getting from OldMiniBikes. Anybody have any insight on what problems might encountered? I've never had to cut one of these, so I'm wondering about how to handle replacing that crimped metal "button" on the carburetor end. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
You can buy the chrome ferrul ( e-bay # 201615207944 ) at any bicycle shop.

Remove the cable from the housing most of the way.
Cut housing to desired length.

Cutting the housing, use a very sharp set of side cutters.
Then use a small nail and by hand reopen the inner liner.

Push your cable back through. Once all is installed, then cut the access cable off about 2" from your finish set up.

Last edited:
I like to cut the sheath with a 32th hack saw slow and easy , this way it wont crimp the inner metal conduit . also chances are you can live with out the chrome feral !

By crimped metal button, do you mean the ferule that goes over the throttle cable housing, or that round piece crimped on the end that engages the throttle on the engine?

I always have to cut a throttle cable, so here is what I do: Cut off the "engine" end of the cable itself. Remove the cable from the sheath. Heat the now cut ferule with a lighter or a match for a couple of seconds and quickly pull the ferule off with pliers. Set the ferule on the cut sheath, just to align it, and quickly heat it again, and shove it up the sheath. It melts it a bit, and bottoms out. It will stay on now. You may need to slightly ream it with a drill bit, etc.

Insert the cable back into the sheath, and use one of the "wire stops" as a cable clamp. (OldMiniBikes sells four or five versions) Once installed, cut the excess cable off and crimp it with a bicycle cable swedge to hold the cable strands together. It took longer to type this than it does to do it.

If you want to get fancy, there are some You Tube videos of guys using lead, melting it in wooden forms and inserting the cable and letting it cool. Not worth that trouble to me, but there ya have it.

Edit: Some folks will tell you that you must use a blade, or dremel cutoff wheel to cut the sheath. I have a large set of wireman pliers that cut it without causing a crimp. If you don't have diagonal cutters large enough, or sharp enough, definitely use a blade or a small wheel.

Last edited:
Dave & Chipper:

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I'm referring to the ferrule that covers the cable sheath. Dave......so, you reuse the old ferrule; interesting. I might try a "test" cut (meaning, keeping the cable temporarily longer) before getting down to the final length.

Dave & Chipper:

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I'm referring to the ferrule that covers the cable sheath. Dave......so, you reuse the old ferrule; interesting. I might try a "test" cut (meaning, keeping the cable temporarily longer) before getting down to the final length.
Yes, I reuse the old ferule. Once you hit it with a cigarette lighter, it comes right off, cleanly. Reverse the process to put it back on. You will be surprised at how well this works. I was. Definitely do a test. Don't worry if the ferule gets some soot on it. Wipes right off. I mean it takes a second or two at the most to heat it up enough.

Alternatively, you can purchase a crimper with several heads on it, but they are expensive. Handy, but expensive.

When you cut the cable i use a dremal but before i cut it i tape the cable then cut it in the center of the tape so the cable will not unravel.

Here is how my son and I do it...
1. Remove the inner cable.
2. Cut the outer sheath supported on a block of wood slowly with a metal cut off wheel in a Dremel tool and set aside
3. Wrap the inner cable TIGHTLY with electrical/friction tape centered where you need the cut, support it on a block of wood and cut it slowly with a Dremel tool and pull off the tape.
4.Flow some solder into the cut off end of the inner cable strands (to prevent future fraying) and reinstall in the outer sheath.
5. Install a new ferrule (available REAL cheap at any bike store)on the end of the sheath and crimp it on once with side cutting pliers.
We have cut MANY this way and it produces a professional factory cable finish/look. We never had much luck cutting cable or the outer sheath with side cutters or hacksaws...
Michael

Just don't forget to remove the cable from the sheath. That's a mistake you only make once lol.
I use masking tape as well and a cutoff wheel or hacksaw to cut, but people use cutters with equal success. I take a file to it afterwards in case there are any burrs.

Same here tape and cut off wheel but I use heat to remove old ferrule and put it on new one also with a heat gun. I do have a nice bike shop nearby that just opened, I will have to see what they have. I bought a cable kit off ebay a while back with a number of outer cables ferrules and a long length of cable.

Every time I have posted here about how I cut the cables, there is some discussion which assumes I am referring to "diagonal cutters." So to clarify, I am using Lineman Pliers. They are designed to cut larger cables, not just .032 safety wire. :laugh: These do not crimp the sheath.

0406797-23.jpg

Dave is correct on the linema's pliers. I see all this mumbo jumbo about tape and cutoff wheels and all I've ever used for the cable part is a pair of side cutters.

Re-using the ferule as Dave mentioned using a lighter works real well.

I use the corner of a hand file to cut my cable sheathing. Takes about 15 or so passes on the same spot pushing the file on a diagonal to the sheathing and it files right through. Then use a utility knife to cut the other plastic casing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

capguncowboy

I cut the actual cable to the needed length with a very sharp chizel on a hard surface. It dulls the blade, so I use an old one and resharpen it each time. You get an absolutely clean cut with no fraying wires. I think Ogy was the one that mentioned doing it this way originally, so I can't take credit for it.

For the casing, I just trim it with a dremel and put a new ferel on afterward

On bicycles, I solder the end of the cable to keep it from fraying/unraveling.
There's always that ONE strand that wants to misbehave.

With the outer sheath, I put a little shrink tube on the end aftre cutting a de-burring to give it a clean, finished look