Cyclops L 400 Survivor

Just had another member pass along a 67/68 Cyclops survivor that they found in South Louisiana. I have been looking for a while and did not expect a survivor like this to show up. She has been painted silver over her original blue and the rear sprocket has been moded but the rest is pretty much there. Controls, brakes, fenders, chain guard, seat and engine are all here. This will be a winter project and I hope to put her back in original condition. Thanks to Chipper for giving me a jingle and a good deal on the bike. I will get a project log started when I start stripping her down. Thanks to the forum for helping make this happen.

Short answer is no. What parts do you need? This is my second complete Cyclops, less 1 original engine and they both had/have worn out sprockets. I searched for a rear wheel assembly and an original front wheel without any luck for months and months back in 2010 for my first bike and I ended up making the originals work back then. I can tell you how to rebuild/ replace the rear brakedrum/ sprocket if you have one of the worn out ones, but I have never seen a good one floating around, or few other parts other than, footpeg covers, a brake assembly, and a frame or 2 in the last 5 years. I did have a source back in 2010 for decals if you need those. Fortunately or unfortunately, there were a limited number of these built, in a fairly short time frame, with only regional distribution and that explains the difficulty in finding them now. If you are not trying to put one back to original, you can make Asusa wheels and 5" brake drum sprockets work pretty much like the originals did and get a frame up and running pretty quick. PM me if you have other things you need. I may have already plowed some ground looking which might help. My black Cyclops, other than the engine and kickstand, is as close to original configuration as I have seen. You can look at the album of its rebuild to see what most of the parts look like. I have other photos as well if there is something in particular you need to see.

markus

Are the Bendix drums welded to the hubs? I was trying to figure out how the heck they got the larger sprocket on the inside when Chipper had texted me the photos of that bike.

george3

Post a pic of the rear wheel without the brake assembly in it? Is it a flange bolt on or weld on sprocket. I have seen both.

Cyclops Rear wheel with 5" brake drum

the drum and sprocket are one piece, no bolts, and this assembly, with a center hole I.D. the same as the spindle's O.D. was slipped over the hub or spindle of a wheelbarrow wheel with a spacer holding it at the correct offset from the wheel's outer rim. The assembly was welded to the spindle, and the spacer then slipped out. If you go onto The OBM warehouse and look at sprockets with drum, the 72 tooth, 5'' brake one is what i used to replace the original sprocket on my black Cyclops. I found a machine shop(Actually it was the guy that builds Grave Digger Monster Trucks) that could put the assembly on an old lathe, and reach the weld on the spoindle with a long cutter. He cut the old weld off, slipped the old sprocket/drum off the spindle, slipped the new one on at the same offset and welded it in place. That is how I plan to fix the sprocket on this Cyclops, but those sprockets are now out of stock. Got to find one. Here is a picture of the one that is now on my first bike after powder coating.
I will post some other pics of the original sprocket if I can find the photos.

I assume that the brake drum is welded to the hub/spindle of the wheel. That is how my other one was assembled. I cannot tell for sure how they got the larger sprocket on the inside. It may have been a 2 piece sprocket. That is how I would have done it. It is definitely welded to the smaller original sprocket along the O.D. /tooth edges of the smaller sprocket in 4 or 5 places. If it is a 2 piece, they ground and hid the welds very well. Cannot be sure until I disassemble the rear wheel and remove the Bendix Brake. The smaller sprocket which appears to be the original is a 60 tooth, the one in use is a 72 tooth which is what my bike always had. May be because it appears that the engine is just a 3 hp on this survivor? My 68' had a 4 hp engine when it was new? not sure.

cyclopsmoore,

Can you put me onto your decal source? I have seen pics of new decal sets but have come up empty. I am a new member to this site (because of the pics I found), and am just beginning my own cyclops resto/rebuild (my first). I rode this bike many years ago, but it has been in a barn for over 30 years. The engine is missing so that will be different, but I am still hoping to keep it as close to original as I can. Any help you can give me with the decals is much appreciated.

It is just sitting there waiting on Duck season to end. I ordered control cables yesterday. I am going to try and get it running as is and enjoy it a little before making it pretty. all it needs for that is a throttle cable and some prayers over the old engine.

Dude, just sent you a second PM. Call me and I can add more detail for you. I can send you 2 of the 3 decals that you need, and can get you going on the third one.

Well, I got ambitious and hopeful that I might get this thing running without a lot of trouble yesterday. I replaced the throttle cable, drained, flushed and replaced the oil, put gas in the tank and immediately had my hopes dashed. Gasoline just poured through and out of the carb. So I pulled the engine and have it on the bench to begin to diagnose and repair. Here are some pics and the engine model /serial number. Anybody have a carb kit for one of these H30's or know the best way to find one. The Model number is H30-3519LF, Serial# 0191 04065. Can anyone tell me the year this TEC was built?

Well, I got ambitious and hopeful that I might get this thing running without a lot of trouble yesterday. I replaced the throttle cable, drained, flushed and replaced the oil, put gas in the tank and immediately had my hopes dashed. Gasoline just poured through and out of the carb. So I pulled the engine and have it on the bench to begin to diagnose and repair. Here are some pics and the engine model /serial number. Anybody have a carb kit for one of these H30's or know the best way to find one. The Model number is H30-3519LF, Serial# 0191 04065. Can anyone tell me the year this TEC was built?

OldMiniBikes sells a chinese knock off carb , they can tell you the part # , like $20 and they work great , I've used em on H30 , HS35 and HS40 , same carb on all ! In my opinion it doesnt pay to fool with the old one , too easy to bolt and go !