Cylinder/Round Gas tanks...

I received a gift yesterday, complete surprise... A TIG WELDER... I jumped right in, no practice... but I have spent a couple of years watching weldingtipsandtricks vids... so wasnt as afraid to do so, as i thought i would be... anyhow... i had a friend make me a few bungs, billet gas caps, etc... a while ago... i thought i would start a cylinder tank project... if I get good enough, maybe they will sell to cover cost of materials for more practice with the welder... this is my first attempt...

I figured I would start a thread on cylinder tanks to kick it off...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6p3d_EZeKI&feature=youtu.be

CarPlayLB

G! I think we just became better friends! Hahaha ...that is bad ass! A lot of folks around you feel blessed to know you, and it shows! Great job for a first attempt! You are fearless...are you really SuperMan?

G! I think we just became better friends! Hahaha ...that is bad ass! A lot of folks around you feel blessed to know you, and it shows! Great job for a first attempt! You are fearless...are you really SuperMan?
wow, thanks very much! gonna stick with it and get as good as i can, real quick here... im told steel is easier to weld, so looking forward to that too... but really wanted to be able to weld aluminum... crossing my fingers this holds pressure.. and no leaks... but doesnt really matter, cause its all in practice for me

im told steel is easier to weld, so looking forward to that too... but really wanted to be able to weld aluminum...
It depends, I often find aluminum easier to weld than steel.
Congratulations on your new welder! Not sure if you want to say what make and model the welder is or what size, but TIG welders are super useful. Couple weeks ago I repaired a broken cast iron vise by TIG braising it with silicon bronze rod.

Tank looks good, nice job!

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Real Nice work LS, I've wanted to make a Stainless steel tank for sometime now.

Already have the filler neck / cap and end bungs. Just need the bung for the petcock on the bottom and the cylinder.
Then get it welded ( I don't have a TIG ). Once I polish it should look like a chrome tank ( that will never rust ) LOL

Is there anything you can't do?!
thank you! I am almost done with the bracing on the frame... was playing with tig welder today, or I would have been done with the it...
It depends, I often find aluminum easier to weld than steel.
Congratulations on your new welder! Not sure if you want to say what make and model the welder is or what size, but TIG welders are super useful. Couple weeks ago I repaired a broken cast iron vise by TIG braising it with silicon bronze rod.

Tank looks good, nice job!
thanks... this one is a ahp alphatig 200x... very nice so far... cant beat the price, though this was a gift... I was looking at this one for a while... but decided to wait on a miller... who knows how long that would have taken.... they are too pricey... lol... but this forces me to sit done and practice...
Real Nice work LS, I've wanted to make a Stainless steel tank for sometime now.

Already have the filler neck / cap and end bungs. Just need the bung for the petcock on the bottom and the cylinder.
Then get it welded ( I don't have a TIG ). Once I polish it should look like a chrome tank ( that will never rust ) LOL
SS tank would be nice...

This is great, you are going to love your new welder! Not sure if your machine is water cooled or not but if it's not, I would try to add a cooler down the road. Air cooled TIG is fine but for longer jobs/thick material (especially on AC voltage) the amperage is high and will heat that torch up enough to burn your hand even with a light duty glove on. Having to stop and let the torch cool down is inconvenient and inefficient.

But for small jobs/light material and getting started, air cooled can be just fine. May I recommend a Pyrex gas cup, I like them you can see everything really well.

What is your youtube name so I can subscribe?.
click on the actual title in the video above and it will go right to it... gtsdesigns

This is great, you are going to love your new welder! Not sure if your machine is water cooled or not but if it's not, I would try to add a cooler down the road. Air cooled TIG is fine but for longer jobs/thick material (especially on AC voltage) the amperage is high and will heat that torch up enough to burn your hand even with a light duty glove on. Having to stop and let the torch cool down is inconvenient and inefficient.

But for small jobs/light material and getting started, air cooled can be just fine. May I recommend a Pyrex gas cup, I like them you can see everything really well.
yes i had already found a pump, etc. to make my own cooler setup, will be buying the parts slowly and building it soon as i can... the 17h is already heating up pretty good and im going to need to install a couple of 220 outlets now.. my breaker doesnt like how much i want to weld

First tank fabrication work is done... just going to spend a little time sanding it down smooth and then will either brush stroke it with scotchbrite or polish it out as good as my patience will allow... I need to make a stand to prop off off... thats been the most challenging thing for me so far... with the tig... but getting better and better each minute i weld... these arent pretty welds.. but they sealed up nicely... and i was a able to clean up the tank to my liking...

second tig welding session... making this one to actually go on the roller i just did the wheelie bars for... hooked welder up to 220... welds alot nicer.. not that it was bad the first attempt... but def noticed a huge difference on how well i could control the amperage...

That's looking better............For all the folks who have never done this type of thing, those butt welds (metal is touching edge to edge) are harder to get right than say a lap weld (the material is overlapping)

Looking at the tanks, I'm wondering if a radius on the ends might be more appealing visually. A domed cap to fit the tubing would be the easiest, but there is another way and it is a pipe fitters technique called a dead end cap. You use a piece of the tube or pipe itself to seal the end with the radius of the tube turned 90 degrees to itself.

It would require 2 templates, one for the tube and one for the cap, but I think it would be fairly easy to do. A bandsaw would help too.

Gerald that second tank looks more than great you are getting it for sure . With aluminum it's the right temp and you gotta be fast and be able to feed rod .
Feeding rod is the biggest task to over come in tig welding . Once it is learned then it all becomes easier .