Danford1's - Sears Puddle Jumper - (Vintage Open)

This is my Sears Puddle Jumper entry for the Vintage Open Class.
This is a fast minibike :)
It has a Briggs and Stratton Animal engine on it. Those have about 10 hp stock, with a couple easy mods it is about 12 hp.
I plan to blast and paint it the factory Orange color, add a new gas tank, redo the seat, rebuild the Comet torque converter system, add chrome fenders, add front brakes etc. I really like this thing. This is one I plan to keep. It rides nice (a little bouncy but I'll add a real shock absorber or two) and it has great American hp on it!

Danford1

Sears Puddle Jumper Jan 17, 4 04 29 PM.jpg

Last edited:
I hit it long and hard in the garage today.
I pulled apart the Puddle Jumper :)
it came apart easier than the two Rupp's I
took apart yesterday.

I started modifying a moped gas tank to fit the frame. It looks better than the rectangular one that was on it.
Then I spent a good deal of time at my sand blaster cleaning up a couple parts.

I rubbed my fingers raw steel wooling the rims and a couple other parts.

I need to to modify the fork pivot point on both the bike and the Sears Green Streak.
The turning radius on both bikes is horrible. My Rupps turn sharp, the Sears Minibikes don't.
Tomorrow will be another busy day.

Danford1

IMG_6408.JPG IMG_6410.JPG IMG_6412.JPG

Picts coming soon. I mocked up a rear fender. I added a grab bar behind the seat and a few other things.
Tomorrow I'll be at it and get some pics too.

Danford1

Here are a couple pics. I'll be taking many more soon. I'm busy doing everything plus 10 things at once right now...

I'm adding a lot of weld on the side plates and then grinding them down flat. I still have a lot of work to do on them.

Danford1

File_003.jpeg File_001 (1).jpeg File_002 (1).jpeg

Last edited:
Looking good sir. Isn't it crazy how a "small" projects explodes into this huge mess of rework? Looks like your doing it right though.

Yep, a lot of work. I expected it though :)
This will look great when done. I went to the auto paint store today and got the Orange color base coat paint. I already have the clear coat. I'm still weeks away from painting things but I want it on hand when the time comes plus I was driving right by the paint store today...
I'm heading out to the garage now to work some more. I need to extend the right side foot peg a couple inches. Then I'll start welding and grinding again.

Danford1

Some pictures of the progress.

I extended the foot peg and welded the side plates fully then ground all the welds down on the frame then sand blasted
the paint off the frame.

Danford1

File_005.jpeg File_001 (3).jpeg File_003 (1).jpeg

Last edited:

Daniel Coop

Awesome metal work man, can't wait to see more. You should do us all a solid though and select medium format for your photos, so it's easier to see your awesomeness without clicking in and out. Sucks on my cell phone...lol

Awesome metal work man, can't wait to see more. You should do us all a solid though and select medium format for your photos, so it's easier to see your awesomeness without clicking in and out. Sucks on my cell phone...lol
Where do I find medium format? When I post pics I pick the picture frame icon then find the picture I want, pick it, pick upload and it goes into the thread. I don't recall seeing an option for size. I'll admit I haven't look for it either though ...

Danford1

I see what you are talking about but I can't figure out how to load pics to my gallery...
My gallery is empty.
The way I've been adding pictures is to pick the picture frame icon above while typing. Then find it on my computer and pick upload.
I'll have to research how to load pics into the gallery...

Danford1

Ok, I found the instructions for the Gallery.
Here is a test pic in medium format.
All the parts are sand blasted and ready for the epoxy primer.
I went around all the edges and rounded off the sharp corners so the paint will stick better. Paint will chip or flake off the sharp edge quicker than rounded edges. It takes extra time to round off all edges but it worth it in the end for longevity. I plan to use Good quality materials when I paint it and my other mini's.

Danford1

Last edited:
Sweet Puddle jumper. Just got one my self I cant wait to get started on. Been looking for an older dual suspension mini for awhile. I finally came across a puddle jumper I plan on slapping a new predator 212cc on it, big knobby tires and paint as well. Thinking black though. I need to figure out a new tank for mine as well it didnt come with one.

Sweet Puddle jumper. Just got one my self I cant wait to get started on. Been looking for an older dual suspension mini for awhile. I finally came across a puddle jumper I plan on slapping a new predator 212cc on it, big knobby tires and paint as well. Thinking black though. I need to figure out a new tank for mine as well it didnt come with one.
Perfect timing on the gas tank question. I was just about to update my thread. Check back soon for pictures.

Danford1