Dave Grattan Hound Dog 400

Addicted 2 Minis

Although I've never seen one in person, I have seen them posted here before and every time one shows up, it makes me want one. I think it's the minimalistic simplicity of it that sets it apart and makes it desirable. Aside from having the wrong engine, I think you scored a keeper. Find yourself a pre-70 metal tank Tecumseh HS40, take it to the quarter wash and call it a day.

Lizardking

Thanks and I now know I have another keeper. I thought it was home made but that clutch cover looked like the one on my Mickey bike and decided to buy it. It was listed as a mini bike without any mention of the manufacturer and no picture of the badge on the plate. Once I saw it in person and saw the badge I knew it wasn't home made. It runs good as is but will replace it with a Tec. I have 2 Tecs with plastic tank that came out of mini bikes.

Lizardking

Although I've never seen one in person, I have seen them posted here before and every time one shows up, it makes me want one. I think it's the minimalistic simplicity of it that sets it apart and makes it desirable. Aside from having the wrong engine, I think you scored a keeper. Find yourself a pre-70 metal tank Tecumseh HS40, take it to the quarter wash and call it a day.
I asked about the age of the bike on the "What is it " section to find a period correct engine.
A score for sure since it still has the original clutch cover and it's a 400!! Thanks!

Lizardking

Most all the info/pictures I find are of this version Hound dog and a few of the Hotdog that looks like the 400. Any other OldMiniBikes members have a 400 ?
donehounddog007.jpeg Mini_Bikes_1281.jpg

markus

there is an article in the November 1969 mini bike guide written by Darby Hinton (the kid at the time on the Dainel Boone TV series). Showing them riding them on the set with Dave Grattan's son etc.. Its a neat article but not too technical, as its written by an 11 year old. It had a 5hp briggs on it.

Lizardking

there is an article in the November 1969 mini bike guide written by Darby Hinton (the kid at the time on the Dainel Boone TV series). Showing them riding them on the set with Dave Grattan's son etc.. Its a neat article but not too technical, as its written by an 11 year old. It had a 5hp briggs on it.
This one? Fess is riding the Hotdog or 400?
img0401.jpg Screenshot_20201221-050020.png

Last edited:
I was looking for suitable foot peg rubbers and only found those for Taco bikes that may fit. Go Kart USA has the Taco ones for $32.00 https://gokartsusa.com/Minibike-Foot-Per-Rubber-for-Taco-Minibikes.aspx but that's a little pricey for something that may or may not work. I looked on McMaster Carr's website and didn't find much in the 3/8" range which is what your pegs looked to be. I also looked on Hunt Wilde's site and didn't find anything that suited my fancy but it's not my bike, not my fancy. Yours seems to be the most original one on the interwebs so finding what is supposed to be on it may take some research.

Lizardking

Last edited:

Lizardking

Pretty sure these are the Taco foot peg rubbers -

https://steadfastcycles.com/search?q=Taco
Thanks for the lead on the foot peg rubbers and at 4 bucks you can't beat that!!!! I haven't seen a Taco foot peg in person so don't know if it's the same length. I will have to measure the peg on the 400 to confirm its 3/8 or ?. The ID for the $4 peg rubber is 1/2.

Last edited:

Lizardking

I've been doing some research on the 400 and have been comparing it to the hot dog and want to share what I found out . Since I haven't seen a brochure or ad for the hot dog I compared several that are described as hot dogs to my 400. Here's what I put together and will let you know if you have a hot dog or 400. If the engine plate is squared and has a space between it and the round part of the frame facing the front tire then it's a 400. The hot dog engine plate is clipped to fit the round part of the frame and has no space there. Just look at the pictures and compare. Hot Dog also has 2 pins sticking out just below the fork plate maybe for a fender and the 400 doesn't. The Hound dog that MAC had back then was a 400.
HOT DOG
Screenshot_20210104-072521.jpg
HOT DOG Screenshot_20210104-035321.jpg
MY 400 20201219_154040.jpg
Mac's 400
Screenshot_20210104-075838.jpg
Screenshot_20210104-084312.jpg

Last edited:

Addicted 2 Minis

While comparing the teal one and orange one, I noticed they both have the same throttle and it looks like the same seat with a different cover. I would almost bet it's the same bike, different owner/paint job. I'm beginning to think that the "Hot Dog" is just someone misremembering the name as both of those bikes have "Hound Dog" on the name plate. As far as the engine plate and pins in the fork, maybe an earlier or later model?, I bet those pins either keep the forks from bottoming out or are there to service them in case a fork tube got stuck?.