DB30 opinions

Motra

Any opinions about the Baja Motorsports Doodlebug minibike? Has anyone installed a larger engine on one, such as an HS40 or HS50 Tecumseh? Or better yet, I have some Intek 206's and a GX200 clone taking up shelf space that'd love to propel some kind of fun machine and I could use a Comet torque converter too if there's room. Seems to be a pretty good deal for what you get. I just might have to get one for kicks.

Motra

Thanks for your replies. cjtmini, that looks like a very nice job. That definately answers my question about engines. I'd buy yours but I already have engines and shipping would cost too much. Thanks again.

rudedog

We've got 3 doodlebugs. Two were bought back in September '07 and the last just a few weeks ago. At the moment both red ones have 7hp Robin/Subaru engines on them. The green one is my son's and remains stock with the 2.8lifan. We've converted one of the red ones to a 3-wheeler and it uses a TAV20. The other red one has a Comet clutch. Both me and my brother are over 350# and either set-up has plenty of power to move us around. The TAV unit however, as a stock minibike frame, was a wheelie king!!

rudedog

All we really had to do was trim the rear fender and raise the engine up. Check the link, there should be plenty of pics to help.

tomsprops

I went with a Briggs Racing ANIMAL Engine/TAV2 set-up ! I had to drop down to a 60 rear spocket to make the Torque more managable , which only made it go faster ! There are some simple mods to make it all work nice and clean. It looks like a stock setup . Which will move my 6'2 ,220lbs around A :censure: in a very timely manor !:thefinger:

Heres mine in progress. I didn't raise the engine but I did lower the fenders! :eek:ut: Only thing trimmed was the chain roller. I used the old steel Tav plate and modified the holes for a better fit for the belt drive. Engine is a champion 6.5 HP (sitting nice and low) It's fast without engine mods! (will do that later)

Motra

So I went in to Pep Boys today, cash in hand, and they wouldn't sell it to me because the tech that assembled it misplaced the title. They also surprised me with, "oh there's a $30.00 prep fee on top of the price of the bike." Don't you think in the four times I talked to them previously somebody could have mentioned that to me! Oh well, maybe I'll get it tomorrow.

title????? maybe it's a utah thing, when i went and got the red ones they didn't have any "title" and the green one was drop shipped, in a box, no title there either. of course the pepboys did want $30 each to set up the red ones, but the manager waived it because i used to work there.

We don't have a pep boys in Akron:sadcrying4: GEEZE I wonder why?? Anyone know where's the closest one to me? That's ok though, we got a harbor freight close by!!!!
dave

delray

Motra,are trying to buy a complete baja minibike? have you tried looking at dick's sporting goods. they have them for 219.98 on sale sometimes?
you could make a tav-2 work,you would have to make a sleeve for the crankshaft. tav's are 3/4 size and you crankshaft is only 5/8.
:scooter:................

Hey GTO,

I am finishing my DB30 project. When I saw yours I thought it was mine!

I lowered the fenders also + added a front disc brake. Tonight I will pick up the fan shroud and gas tank. I will post more photos when finished. The TAV on the small mini's works great. A wheelie machine off the line and 45 mph top speed with 240# rider. The TAV will not allow the engine to rev out all the way.

Check my photos page and album

CJ, I'd like to see the front disc mod. :thumbsup:

BTW, guys. We have a store called "GI Joes" that has the green ones on sale for $199. :thumbsup:

Motra

Well, I finally got it today. It's very underpowered with the stock engine, at least for an adult. It'd probably be fine for the kid it's made for. Mods are soon to come.