Deal gone bad... long post.

Yep, I did ask for any and all constructive feedback, and at this point we can move on. My perspective has changed thanks to that feedback and at this point I'm willing to let it go. Karl can keep whatever on the engine is worth keeping and scrap the rest rather than spend the time to clean and repack it; I think that's the simplest solution for both of us. As far as I'm concerned, this is all resolved at this point.

Did you really mean to quote my post, or are you actually that far away from seeing a facetious comment on High School Level BS once again on this forum? Good God. The only one who screwed up is the guy who started this thread in the first place. IE, if "I" need to gauge my moral compass, the last place I'd go is a mini bike forum.
A little hard to distinguish between being facetious and sincere over the internet.

Engine now rests in the hands of my neiborhood junk man. Ryan told me to just keep it. I didn't want it so now everyone's happy. Problem solved.
I am not mad at Ryan. Hope he's not mad at me. Shit happens and it was resolved.
Karl, I apologize for this situation, from the things that went bad at the start when you received the engine to all that transpired in this thread. This thread served its purpose in providing clarified perspective for me, and I am glad to be a little wiser for the future. It was a long initial post, and for those that saw that as unnecessary pot stirring, I only wanted to make sure all the details were out there so it wouldn't look like a one-sided gripe on my behalf.
No ill will here by any means.

capguncowboy

Want to know what I would do? No? Okay then.

Well, I'll tell you anyway. Don't pay to ship the entire engine back. The block is toast, and doesn't have any value anyway. If it has any billet parts, pull those off. Put whatever fits into a medium or large flat rate USPS box and ship it back.

Now, who should pay for it?

If the buyer made a mistake or didn't notice something that was disclosed up front, then he should pay for it.

If the seller made a mistake and sold something that wasn't what he said it was, or if he mislead (either intentionally or unintentionally) the buyer in any way, the seller should pay for it.

In this scenario, the seller screwed up. I know it sucks, but that's business. Be a man and own your mistake. Cut your losses and move on, or pay to have the parts/engine shipped back. It's really not that hard.

EDIT: If you read ALL of the pages, you'll see that my post is redundant since they've already resolved it.

Last edited:
Karl, I apologize for this situation, from the things that went bad at the start when you received the engine to all that transpired in this thread. This thread served its purpose in providing clarified perspective for me, and I am glad to be a little wiser for the future. It was a long initial post, and for those that saw that as unnecessary pot stirring, I only wanted to make sure all the details were out there so it wouldn't look like a one-sided gripe on my behalf.
No ill will here by any means.
:thumbsup:

If a business makes a mistake and sends the wrong item, the full purchase price including shipping is refunded, or the correct item is sent at no additional cost to the buyer.

If it is a valuable item that the business wants back, a call tag should be provided to the buyer (i.e. seller pays return shipping.)

Now it is your right to pay to have the engine sent back if you want it. But even if you do pay return shipping, you are still asking him to do the job of draining the fluids and cleaning the residual that *should* have been done before the engine was ever shipped in the first place.

If that had been done, maybe the gaping hole in the front of the block would have been noticed?
Those are my thoughts as well. x2:thumbsup:

As for the patch I didn't even know people did that. As far as I knew which I'll admit has fallen far short here once an engine block is broken or cracked it gets junked. I've never heard of or seen anyone patching a Briggs block.

I would appreciate any and all constructive feedback on this issue.

I've done it.

I had a '64 Briggs 4HP that ended up with a hole in the block on the front. I was running it wide open on a Roper minibike in the August Alabama heat and looked down and my legs were covered in oil. WTF? Turns out when I removed the governor (Gasp!) I never cracked the case open and just left the internal gear in there. Well after years of beating on it at WOT the plastic gear and flyweights came loose and started bangin around inside the sump. I didn't know about it till it was too late and the block ended up with a window. I figured it was toast, but it was a long walk back to camp so I just hammered down. To my surprise, not only did it make it back but I tried to blow it up, with no success. Pulled the side cover, cleaned out all the busted pieces and JB welded the hole shut and that thing is still running to this day. That was almost twelve years ago.

Last edited:
Wow, not good.
If you ship something to someone and it is damaged or a misleading post then you should pay the entire amount to have it returned to you. Not good business sense. Karl is one of the most stand up guys I have met on here! That's my input.