Decals

Does anyone know where I can get an original decal reproduced? I have most of the original Bird decal from the chain guard, and would like to not leave the chain guard blank. Thank you.

cfh

If you look at the thread ‘Minibike catalogs in PDF’ here on the site you can see that I’ve done a bunch of decals. Not for your bike mind you but you get the idea

CFH, Do you recreate the originals, or find a nice original and copy it? I think I have a good photo of the chain guard decal, but the decal was damaged during removal.
Actually, the close up photo above is the best photo I have.

Last edited:
Chipper, mine came without anything on the forks. I was advised it is a Golden Pinto, but why does it say Foremost on the decal?

Foremost was a name JCP used for it's line of hard goods, like mowers, bicycles..etc. JCP didn't make anything, they just rebadged products built by other companies. Bird made JCP mini bikes for a time.

Last edited:

cfh

I try and find nice originals and scan them. but if that's not possible i find good reproductions (ebay) and scan them. I've taken crappy originals and scanned them, cleaned them up, and made those. That's what i did for my JC penny duster. But it's hard to get people here on this site to share. They are just not interested. So you're kind of on you own on finding source material. I've asked people to borrow catalogs or even take cell phone pictures of the pages (and willing to pay them for the effort), and i've gotten no where. I've been trying to set up a bank of decal scans and catalog scan (in PDF) and from what i've seen, you're on your own. People here just aren't the sharing types. It is what it is, i guess.

Last edited:
Actually, most folks on this site would give you one of their kidneys if you needed it. Be patient, and wait a little longer than 6 months to make that judgement.....

cfh

But what if you need a Kidney now? sometimes these things can't wait...

seriously i'm not sure what the issue may be. i'm trying to help the community with a repository of decals and PDF catalogs. maybe 6 months of asking isn't long enough. but why would it take longer? is there some time test involved? and what is the downside of helping? i guess that's the big question. i'm doing the work and the hosting, all they need to do is come up with a scan or a picture. or heck not even that... i've offered to paypal full value for their catalog or sticker to borrow it, as a deposit. you get it back, you do a paypal refund (or partial refund, if you want paid for borrowing said item.) Crickets... lots of crickets... no takers. Again i'm not sure what the issue is.

The last guy i got the speedway catalogs (he was from ebay) from was really pleasant. He didn't want to sell the catalogs, but was happy to take cell phone pictures of each page, and email them to me. I paid him $20 per catalog to do that. Then i photoshop'ed the pics (to get them straight and un-skewed), and made a PDF of them. Came out well. Not perfect (a scan would have been ideal), but it worked. He's has some money in his pocket, and the catalogs never left his house. it's win/win.

Last edited:

cfh

that would be great. do you have a scanner? if so, just scan it at 300 dpi. if you don't, you'll have to mail it to me.

I do have a scanner. I'll get it scanned later today and see how that works. If the scan isn't good enough quality, I'll get your mailing address and send it. Do I need to email you the scan, or post it to this thread?

Last edited:

cfh

That bird decal is in pretty bad shape. it would need serious reconstruction. and frankly i'm not sure what it's supposed to actually look like! here's some messing around i did with it. But it needs a lot more work! for example, what is the background finish supposed to be? it just looks burnt in the scan.

bird_decal1.jpg

I have seen a good photo of another bike with that decal, but I can't remember where! The photo I posted with it still attached to the chain guard shows printing on the upper left "Soaring With _ _ _ _" I can't make out the third word. Otherwise, I believe the background should be smooth and white. What you have reconstructed so far looks great!

markus

I have seen a good photo of another bike with that decal, but I can't remember where! The photo I posted with it still attached to the chain guard shows printing on the upper left "Soaring With _ _ _ _" I can't make out the third word. Otherwise, I believe the background should be smooth and white. What you have reconstructed so far looks great!
soaring with the 70's

This original survivor scat bat that another member saved and detailed out has a nice shot of that decal: