Di Blasi R7 Folding Motor Bike

nightgrider

After stumbling across an image of one of these this morning. I've kind of become obsessed with it. I'd love to build something similar if I can, but that is probably a pipe dream at this point. I looked around on the site, looks like there are a few post on these Di Blasi mopeds but not many. I found a retailer out of Florida, but a new one is a bit pricey for me right now. I just think it is neat.

1637613771746.png 1637613771746.png

Last edited:

nightgrider

Here is the American website. https://www.diblasi.com/ It is an Italian company they've been making a similar folding moped since at least the early 70s or so. Now they even make an electric version. I'm not an expert, but this is what I've been able to find on poking around on the internet. There's also several videos of them on YouTube.

Last edited:

nightgrider

I think for me it depends on the frame construction and engine displacement. Though I can see inconsistencies even in my own categorization. Example, I'd call a Lambretta a scooter, but I'd call a yamaha razz a moped. I think some of my personal definition just goes back to what people referred to transportation of that type when I was growing up. I can see how this by the technical definition is not a moped because it does not have pedals. Though now I'm interested into how everyone here would categorize the Di Blasi.

desert rat

Interesting. :scooter:
A moped is a bicycle-type vehicle (or two-wheeled vehicle), equipped with pedals and a low-powered engine that provides an economical mode of transportation. ... Most states classify a moped with a 50cc or less engine and a maximum speed of 28-30 miles per hour.

Commonly seen on the roads in the United States (aside from motorcycles) are scooters, or motor scooters. A scooter is defined as a two-wheeled vehicle with a step-through chassis and footrest platform.

Mini motorcycles, also known as pocket bikes, are motorized bikes that are smaller than the standard motorcycles. Standard pocket bike size is about two feet in height and a weight of approximately 50 lbs. A typical mini motorcycle comes with a 40cc engine (40cc to mph is about 40-50 miles per hour).

A minibike is a two wheeled, off-highway recreational vehicle popularized in the 1960s and 1970s, but available continuously from a wide variety of manufacturers since 1959. Traditionally, minibikes have a four-stroke, horizontal crankshaft engine, single- or two-speed centrifugal clutch transmissions with chain final-drive, 4" or 6" wheels and a low frame/seat height with elevated handlebars.[1] Commercially available minibikes are usually equipped with engines commonly found elsewhere on utilitarian equipment.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minibike

mustangfrank

Or the Urban Dictionary version:

Moped

A moped is a person, guy or girl, you are having sex with, but would never want your friends to meet because they are not that attractive.

Like a moped, the gay motorbike, he/she is fun to ride, but you would never want your friends to see you on it.

I am inviting this guy over to hook up only late at night or when no one is home because he’s a total moped.

by Emma Frost December 05, 2019