Differences between 1964 - 1966 Rupp Continental "Special" models

I have read that 1965 & 1966 Rupp Continental Special models are the same , if so then what is different on the 1964 model year ? , does anyone have any catalog scans or pictures of survivor or correctly restored 1964 , 1965 & 1966 Rupp Continental Specials ?

markus

1964's were red, had a taillight mounted to the rear fender strap, and used 6" 3 piece steel wheels. for 1965 the bikes were changed to blue, the tail light mount point was raised up to the frame and Gran Prix wheels were introduced. I would not doubt there are some other little things as well but those were the majors. Go to the USminibikemuseum.com and dig through the Rupp section, they have some of the info scanned from old magazines posted up.

1964's were red, had a taillight mounted to the rear fender strap, and used 6" 3 piece steel wheels. for 1965 the bikes were changed to blue, the tail light mount point was raised up to the frame and Gran Prix wheels were introduced. I would not doubt there are some other little things as well but those were the majors. Go to the USminibikemuseum.com and dig through the Rupp section, they have some of the info scanned from old magazines posted up.
Thanks Marcus , I knew the Continental "Custom" had a tail light but I did not think the Continental "Special" Did ? , there is a black & white Cycle World ad on that sight that you posted from 1965 that shows the "Special" as an economy model without lights for $169.99 , it doesn't say what color but I'm assumeing it would have been blue , was 1964 the only year for red ? , and were the Grand Prix wheels available in 1964 maybe late in the year ? , thank you again for your help

markus

Your right the special was not a lighted version, but there may be some sort of difference on the fender straps for 1964 as opposed to 65 with the change to light mounting. with them mentioning the changes in the 1965 lineup with the wheels and paint color in the advertisments, I would think that those items would classify the bike as a 1965. Of course they may have been ahead of the actual calendar year, so I guess if your looking a bike with a later '64 date coded engine or something like that. The karts were getting the gran prix wheels starting in 1964 I think?

Maybe someone with the parts listing/catalog for 1964 continental will be willing to chime in and help out.

Good luck with it.