DIY Mini Bike Glass Pack Style Muffler/exhaust

Minimichael, that baffle setup in the pipe I was referring to has a clean and clear hole through the center of it. The exhaust exits the muffler into a round piece of screen wrapped with fiberglass insulation. There is no blockage or change in flow or pressure behind your original muffler. It would only modify the sound coming out the back.

nightgrider

Though, not where I expected this thread to go or end up. I've enjoyed the thoughts and discussion. Originally was just wondering if others had tried it and what the tone was like. Loudness wasn't much of a concern of mine, as I live out in the country and ride off road. But I do find the discussion of variable exhaust interesting. That's the great part about this site the welth of knowledge and open discussion. :cool:

Last edited:

Minimichael

Minimichael, that baffle setup in the pipe I was referring to has a clean and clear hole through the center of it. The exhaust exits the muffler into a round piece of screen wrapped with fiberglass insulation. There is no blockage or change in flow or pressure behind your original muffler. It would only modify the sound coming out the back.
Yep that's how I understand it, too

kayde

While not a mini i figured I share my simple scrap pipe glass pack I built for my old t555

The black through pipe has many cross drilled holes and wrapped with woven fiberglass mat.
The outer caseing was slid over the matting and capped off.

It sounded and performed well, kind of a mellow putt putt putt at idle much like a oe quad muffler.
Mid throttle it was still very tolerable but started getting loud.
It sounded best from a distance while decelerating.

I had a short wide open header on it for a while and the muffler was a incredible overall improvement.

kayde

While not a mini i figured I share my simple scrap pipe glass pack I built for my old t555

The black through pipe has many cross drilled holes and wrapped with woven fiberglass mat.
The outer caseing was slid over the matting and capped off.

It sounded and performed well, kind of a mellow putt putt putt at idle much like a oe quad muffler.
Mid throttle it was still very tolerable but started getting loud.
It sounded best from a distance while decelerating.

I had a short wide open header on it for a while and the muffler was a incredible overall improvement.

I'm terrible at this posting thing as I forgot the pic

Attachments