DIY Pipe Bender

Eventually decided I had no choice on this one - the local bender for sale is almost 1000$ and its a wrap around type, not the high quality pull around type. The JD2, JMR and Hossfeld prices are not bad, but shipping is insain.

This type of bender is essential for me as everthing has to be scratch built.

Big Rob's bender was cool, but decided I needed to see what all the fuss was about with the JD2 and JMR benders.

Working from pics is fine, but next time i'll ask for some sizes, was way off the mark. Was watching Cafe Racer and this guy bent some pipe with a JD@ and its huge, almost 2ft long.

I made a CAD drawing of what I wanted just to test out a few things before I committed to buying steel etc. The biggest CLR I can have is 3inch otherwise it does not fit my lathe, yes I had to make the die myself aswell. Lucky me scored that rudius cutter from a swap shop.

Sorry I did not take more pics while building, its been an absolute massive learning curve - and cudos to the guys in the states at JD2 and JMR the ammount of research that when into those designs must have been phenominal.

I changed the direction of the crank arm, I'm a big guy and it's easier being on the side the pipe is being bent that on the other side looking over at what you have done.

The frame is from 10mm plate steel , its about 50mm wide and 300mm long, like a baby JD2. Could not get sqaure ali so I used round stock and used a hole saw to cut the profile. The Die is a 25mm - 1 inch
All up cost me about 100$ - I am stoked.

She bends like a Beauty - ready for the Build Off now

Very impressive! Now lets see some action shots of that bad boy pulling some sweet radius!
As requested, The tube flattens ever so slightly on the radius, but man I'm still chuffed with the results. Will have to start work on a mach2 I think.

All the cheap bender here only did 19mm, at least now I can build a decent frame that looks proportionate to the bike.

Scottessey

Wow, that looks great! I have a tube bender that was given to me at the shop but not the right dies. I'm getting inspired to make some up and get it workin'. Good job, Tank! :thumbsup:

Wow, that looks great! I have a tube bender that was given to me at the shop but not the right dies. I'm getting inspired to make some up and get it workin'. Good job, Tank! :thumbsup:
You should have no problem, been keeping an eye on those mad fab skill you have.
Yell if you have any questions

Looks good Dan you should have no problem bending up cool frames now.
The only prob I still have with mine is I need a degree wheel to help my layouts I have to bend check bend some ,might put an aluminum disk with a pointer and drafting protractor on mine some day lol

Looks good Dan you should have no problem bending up cool frames now.
The only prob I still have with mine is I need a degree wheel to help my layouts I have to bend check bend some ,might put an aluminum disk with a pointer and drafting protractor on mine some day lol
That was almost one of the factors that made me consider buying the real deal. Nice Idea though round Ali disk painted black with lines scratched on it .
Nice:thumbsup: