DIY predator 212 clutch cover/clutch guard

TDB

I went out for a nice ride after I finished swapping a Predator 212 onto my mini bike and ended up shredding my shoe on the exposed clutch.. no bueno.

I looked a little bit online for a clutch cover but I didn't see anything that I really liked the look or the price of, so I thought what the heck I'll make one myself, I mean how hard can it be..

I started by running to Fleet Farm and picking up a 6"x18" piece of 16ga sheet metal for around $8
image.jpeg

Next I did some thinking and some measuring and got the pattern I wanted. I just cut it out with and angle grinder and smoothed the edges with a bench grinder.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

After I got the front plate cut out I cut some more strips out of the sheet and bent them into 5 mounting tabs. The tabs hold the plate 2 3/4" away from the side of the engine which leaves just enough room for the clutch bolt.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Here was a quick mock up.
image.jpeg

I used a paper template to get the mounting holes lined up and I marked them and drilled them out. I rounded the tabs off with the bench grinder. Then I brought it to a friends shop to get welded up.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

I sanded it down and hit it with some matte black paint on the inside and some truck bed liner on the outside.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Let it cure overnight and then bolted it up! I think it turned out terrific! Especially considering I'm just a kid who is completely self taught and I do not have the best of tools.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Let me know if you have any questions, tips, or constructive criticisms! My only complaint with it is that it's a royal pain to get on and off, so whenever I'll be building another one for my man JJsiahmoto I'll just bolt the tabs to the plate instead of welding them. That should make it easier to get on and it will be way easier to just take off the plate from the brackets if you need to service the clutch. Total cost with the sheet metal and the bolts was only about $16.

TDB

Thank you very much! I did learn a thing or two, now I know how to make the bends a little bit nicer.

I was thinking of tacking the nuts to the tabs, if I didn't it would be near impossible to get the nut on.

TDB

Thanks! I've heard about rivnuts before (well I heard them called nutserts, same thing) but I didn't even think about using them, might not be a bad idea.

Very nice job! Oh heck go fancy on the next one, as if you are like me, you build the first and then start looking at how to make it better.

Another way to fasten the cover to the braces, think race car. Use Zeus fasteners on it. Quarter turn with a screwdriver and done, on /off. As a plus it looks trick! On our old race car I could pull both bumper covers in 5 minutes, vs about an hour if they were bolted up normally, plus I didn't have to remember where all the fasteners were after I removed them.

I would love to buy one of those clutch guards for the Predator 212!! Could you make another one to sell??? Dont mind a person making money looks amazing! Let me know? Thank you, Patrick Slate sanford NC