DIY....re-jetting a 6.5

Even though I blew it out I must have not cleaned out all the metal or picked up some trash in the carb. I rode it Saturday no problems ran great but on Sunday my daughter was riding and it sputtered and cut off like it ran out of gas. No big deal, but it had half a tank of gas. I thought maybe trash so I drained the bowl on the carb and it ran good for a while and did it again. Ill try to disassemble the carb this week and check it out. It does have a fuel filter between the tank and carb and yes the fuel switch was turned on.

Any Ideas in the mean time???

I have a hf greyhound engine and was wonder where I can find jets for it? I put an arc flat top piston, arc billet rod, arc billet flywheel, valve springs and removed the governer. I don't want to drill the jet to big so I was going to order a couple different sizes. Or does anyone know what size i should drill the main jet? Thanks

Back in business! Disassembled the carb, cleaned the carb then reassembled - back to doing wheelies. Highly recomend this change to a stock carb. :scooter:

Rejetted a preditor which was running substandard. Only mods, split straight pipe, low restriction air filter. Removed carb found last drill (#69) which would fit throught the jet. Took next size dril (#68) and drilled through. Cleaned and replaced carb. No longer missing and throttle response faster and stronger. Brother took it for a ride, said, "running much better".

outdoorguy

TomH

Yeah, the info here is right on, problem is finding decent drill bits. I went to a wholesale tool place instead of harbour freight. Bits were junk anyway, broke/chipped off the one I needed on the main but I got it drilled. The idle was worse, didn't even get started before it broke off, may be got a 1/4 turn before it popped. Went larger on the idle..too much. Now I got to buy an idle jet and start over...or not. I am not messing with it unless I can find a better bit set somewhere. I used a pin vice and I know how to use it. Pissed off and jetless Tom

Wow, sorry to hear that. I have done three carbs with my bits so far (knock on wood). I can tell you the bits are tiny and do appear fragile .

got mine at hobbytown usa in fresno. they sold a set and individually but were out of the set. i bought the bits individually for .89 each. they may have the bits online. also found the bits at a local ag store but they were 3X as expensive.

you dont need the whole set. i bought from 61-80, but the smallest and biggest arent really necessary for rejetting.

TTS

pomfish

I need some help.
I got some parts from Hent and Viki yesterday at the NJ show (Thanks Much!)
Among my parts was a K&N style air filter kit that I installed on my one chopper.
Of course no it runs like crap due to needing re jetted. Not unexpected.

The engine in question is the Blue Old Central Machinery 6.5, 4 Bolt Valve cover job from Harbor Freight.
The carb does not have the plastic plug/cover that you pop off like on the newer 5 bolt engines.
I know how to drill out the jets, just don't know how to get to the idle jet on this one.
Is the idle jet fixed on this engine or is there a plug that I need to drill out?
The carb has a star emblem on the body just above the bowl if that helps identify it at all.
I will be getting an Index Drill set tomorrow and want to fix this thing proper.
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks,

Keith

If it fits your clone (help here guys) you can get carbs on ebay ....with adjustable idle screw (near engine mount flange) ....I got one for 20 bux.....mint...... make sure you search gx200 adjustable carburetor and it comes apart like normal for drilling....ect....no tricks or cut off or blocked screws on this one...